Was close to getting New to Us Pool open. SLAMMING A SWAMP POOL? Lesson Learned here!

Started my SLAM last Friday on a new to us above ground pool that was basically a swamp. Everything was going well until I started noticing water loss. Fearing a leak I tried to finish my SLAM so I could get in and investigate liner with goggles.
Well last night I was brushing and getting rid of the last of the swamp crud that I could now see more clearly and much to my surprise water started pouring out from the bottom edge of the pool wall.
Long story short the pool is now empty, a new liner will be installed.

So if I could pass on a lesson learned I would recommend re-thinking reviving that old swampy above ground pool with a SLAM

1.Maybe take the time to drain it and inspect the condition of the liner and wall components.
2. I knew very little of the history of chemicals used in this pool so the liner may have been compromised. Who knows? There was definitely risk of using existing materials. I realize that now!
3. After the pool was completely empty I found plastic pool cover clips with sharp corners, rusty nails (yes! nails!!). Even after vacuuming, leaf raking and brushing I had no clue any of that was in there because I couldn't see the bottom clearly.

I unfortunately went through quite a bit of testing materials and a little liquid chlorine. Still though not that much $$ was lost. But I am starting over.
Now I'll have peace of mind knowing my liner is new! And I know how to do a SLAM already!

I will have a TFP come he77 or high water!!

Brian
(father of a very disappointed 3 year old that was looking forward to swimming this weekend) :(

CAUTION! You should not fully drain a vinyl pool more than a few years old. If you do, the liner can shrink and rip when you try to refill, thus requiring the purchase of a new liner.

Also, if in ground, the liner may float out of position if you have a high ground water table.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.