pH is 8.6-Can't bring it in range-Not sure what to do next

May 23, 2013
New Jersey
Hi, I opened my pool last Friday. It was unusually dirty with a large dark stain at the Bottom. I remember last year starting off with 15 gallons of 8.25% bleach and that didn't raise the chlorine much....I added a few more gallons, few more etc. and finally got it in range. I decided this year with it being so dirty I would just dump 30 gallons in. It cleared within 2 days and the water is crystal clear, stain gone however my TA is of course high now.

I had the water tested yesterday:
CYA-0
TC-3.6
FC-3.6
PH-8.6
TA-0
TH-291

The pool place suggested adding 54lbs of baking soda, 9lbs of PH reducer, 6lbs stabilizer. I decided I would try getting the PH where it needs to be first so I added a gallon of Muriatic acid. Tested the water. PH Still off the chart. So I added another 1/2 gallon MA and still the PH today was off the chart, def in the 8+ range.

Is it because my chlorine level is too high? Should I start adding the baking soda to get my TA up? Not sure what to do next.:(

Those test results are nonsense. Your pH wouldn't be that high with no TA.

Adding a bunch of baking soda will just drive the pH higher and it's already off the scale.

The test block stops at 8.2 (If you're using your own) so you could be at 8.2 or 8.3 or just as easily at 9.0. Remember the pH scale is logarithmic. It's the exponent value. The drop from 9 to 8 is 10 times as large as the drop from 8 to 7, so it will use huge amounts of acid to shift it. You've just discovered that. Once it comes into range, the quantities will come down.

Those test results are nonsense. Your pH wouldn't be that high with no TA.

Adding a bunch of baking soda will just drive the pH higher and it's already off the scale.

The test block stops at 8.2 (If you're using your own) so you could be at 8.2 or 8.3 or just as easily at 9.0. Remember the pH scale is logarithmic. It's the exponent value. The drop from 9 to 8 is 10 times as large as the drop from 8 to 7, so it will use huge amounts of acid to shift it. You've just discovered that. Once it comes into range, the quantities will come down.

I tested the water as well with a new PH test kit and it is very high. The color was no where near the 8.2 top marker. I thought it was odd that the pool store analysis stated my TA is 0 though. (waiting for a better test kit so I can test TA as well) So, you think I should just let the chlorine level settle down for another day or so and test again? Definitely holding off on adding any baking soda. Should I add more Muriatic acid? BTW, is there a difference between Muriatic acid from HomeDepot or the pool store?

I have an automatic safety cover which is usually always closed. I'm leaving it open for now and have been running the pump non-stop.

You have at least a minimal test kit that checks pH, so get that down between 7.2 and 7.8 using acid.

Chemically, there's no difference between MA from the pool store or Home Depot. Pricing will likely be much different. DO look at the strength, though. Sometimes the hardware stores sell "safe" or "low-fuming" acid which is half strength. In which case, the pool store's will likely be a better value.

Get a complete test kit coming, so you can take control. You may need some CYA, or you may have too much. Pool store's always get that one wrong. Bonus: the TF100 comes with a 5t0 CYA standard solution so you can practice the test and see how to get the right readings. Then when you test, you'll know your number is right.

And make sure you keep chlorine in that pool while you're messing with the pH. You don't want an algae bloom while you're waiting for your test kit.

Thanks Richard. Your right, My local HD stopped carrying muriatic acid for the last few years. I remember them telling me it was too dangerous for the general consumer here in NJ. Sparklers and sling shots are too dangerous as well here as they are illegal too. Don't get me started....

I was surprised to see they have it again but I just looked at the empty container and it is low-fume, has very little smell at all. Maybe that's why my PH hasn't moved much. I'll get a gallon from the pool store to have on hand. And yes, algae has snuck up on me in previous years trying to get the initial water balance. Thanks for the reminder!

Thanks Richard. Your right, My local HD stopped carrying muriatic acid for the last few years. I remember them telling me it was too dangerous for the general consumer here in NJ. Sparklers and sling shots are too dangerous as well here as they are illegal too. Don't get me started....

I was surprised to see they have it again but I just looked at the empty container and it is low-fume, has very little smell at all. Maybe that's why my PH hasn't moved much. I'll get a gallon from the pool store to have on hand. And yes, algae has snuck up on me in previous years trying to get the initial water balance. Thanks for the reminder!

I got a better test kit which included TA and my TA is 140. My PH is low now. If I had added all the chems the pool place suggested my chemistry would have been totally out of whack.
Low pH and high TA is a good combination. All you need to do to raise pH is some aeration. Anything to break the surface and get some bubbles and ripples going. No chemicals needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.