Pool Opened, now what?

gt6974a

Bronze Supporter
Jun 1, 2016
Acworth, GA
New, so I need to buy a test kit, but these are from Leslie's

Opened on Sunday, 5/29, added shock, conditioner, baking soda, ultra cleaner, chlorine tablets:

FC: 0
CC: 0
CH: 100
CYA: 0
TA: 100
PH: 7.6
TDS: 700

Numbers on Tuesday,5/31:

FC: 1
CC: 1
CH: 70
CYA: 60
TA: 110
PH: 7.4
TDS: 100

On 5/31 added algeacide, and 3lb sanitizer, refilled chlorine tablets.

I'm ordering the TFT test kit tonight, want to switch to TFP method.

What are my next steps? Looks like I need to get my PH up a tenth or two and my CC back down, and keep an eye on my FC.

I just bout 20lbs of tablets, should I use those first before switching to bleach? Anything else?

Also, I see alot of people don't use algaecide but we live near a lake and about ever couple years we'd get Mustard Algae, how can I prevent that?

Thx

Glad the testkit is on the way!

Please do not use any more tabs! If you have any in the pool now, take them out ASAP. They will add CYA and your level is probably high enough.

Add 1 gallon of bleach every day until your testkit arrives.

How does the water look?

We don't really know what your CYA truly is. Pool stores don't test CYA reliably.

How much CYA you added depends on what was in the shock and stabilizer. Do they list the chemicals on the packaging?

- - - Updated - - -

The conditioner most likely contains a significant amount of CYA also.

At home now, but it was 5 small bags of Leslie's Chlor Brite Granular Sanitizer, and then another 3 bags on Tuesday.

I think I only used 1/4th of the Conditioner they recommended, it was a 5lb bucket I believe

Just the bags of Chlor Brite (dichlor) added about 15ppm CYA. The tabs have added more. The conditioner? Who knows what was in that.

If you want to follow TFP methods, I would hold off on adding anything (including tabs) besides bleach until your testkit arrives. Once the CYA is in the pool, it pretty much stays there. It is very difficult to reduce CYA levels, so until you get your kit, please remove the tabs.

You can save those tabs for when you go on vacation. They will last for years if you keep them dry and out of the sun.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Technically no, my mom's pool, pool I grew up in, my dad built it back around 1985. My stepdad passed away this past fall so I've taken over pool duties. Just replaced the pump/motor/multiport. I live in the n-hood next door though. Just got fishy and then a little conflict with Leslie's when they were telling me to put all this stuff in that I had never seen my stepdad put in. Was HOA president in my n-hood and dealt with our pool guy for 3 years and never saw him mention some of these chemicals either, and I'm the one that fixed the SWG there b/c I didn't want to replace the circuit board at $400, when it was on Amazon for $200, and turned out to be a $2 fix.

I've learned through lots of reading that the pool places mostly exist to sell you chemicals and may not fully understand what they tell you to put in and how it reacts to everything else. Need more chlorine toss tabs in :ncool: they're "easy" . I'm new to the pool scene myself (Had a small inflatable last year before we went to a bigger AG pool), and even then I read about what worked best for my situation with the small pool (They still need chemicals or you get a swamp fast). I never once went to the pool store without saying anything other than "do you have X lbs of Y?", and that's only because my local home depot/Walmart didn't have what I needed at the time, generally the "pool stores" at least in my area are 15%-20% higher priced than grabbing what I need from a non pool.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.