Looking for Advice/Opinions on what to do for automation of my setup (new to us pool)

May 11, 2016
Cville, tn
Good Evening,

We have a 35,000 gal pool.
Features are main filter pump ( on manual switch- 1 hp motor-wired at 220)
Waterfall pump with separate filter ( on manual switch- 1 hp motor-wired at 220)
Polaris 380 Cleaner ( on separate switch-3/4 hp motor-wired at 220)
Aquapure Apure1400 SWCG ( wired to only turn on with main pump)
Standard in-pool lights ( on manual switch)
Landscape lights around back of pool
Pool Heater- hooked up to only turn on with main pump

As you can see, its all very manual. I don't even have pump timers. I NEED to cut my power consumption but all motors appear to be in good condition and wired at 220 so I can't get them more efficient in as/is condition.

What I want to do:
Be able to automate the main pump and the Polaris pump at a minimum. I don't have a spa so there's no need for turning on heater/whatever. Perhaps I should keep it stupid simple and use a mechanical timer?

I got the outside surround sound hooked to my iPhone for control. So I am kind of techy but I don't need to blow money either I guess.

Your sig says 2x 1.5 HP, vs 1 and 3/4 in the text?

Two speed pumps will save you a lot of electricity. Fluid resistance (and power needed) goes up w the cube of flow, so by cutting to 1/2 speed, it uses 1/8 the electricity. Running twice as long gets same volume, but ~1/4- 1/3 the electricity cost.

How to Replace a Single Speed Motor with a 2Green Motor. - INYOPools.com

The neat part is most of the 2 speed motors come w a timer built-in!!
A.O. Smith Pool Motor Square Flange 1 HP Full Rate Dual Speed w/ Digital Controller - B2982T - INYOPools.com
$335.99

You may be able to use a smaller motor/pump, but I think putting a smaller (3/4HP) motor on a 1.5HP size pump may burn out the motor.

You can get a discount at Inyo w a membership at TFP.

TFP recommends that if you're going to install an automation system, then keep it within the same manufacturer to avoid product compatibility problems. Since you have a Jandy AquaPure SWG, then you should look at the automation options that Jandy offers.

Also, as far as 2-speed pumps go, you can save money with them BUT because you have an SWG you need to ensure that the low speed on a 2-speed pump has the flow rate capable of running your SWG or else it is pointless to get a 2-speed since you'd be running it on high all the time to generate chlorine. Depending on the setup of your waterfall (why does it have a separate filter??) you may not need a pool pump to run it. Builders often engage in the wasteful practice of putting a high-head pool pump on water features that can utilize low-head waterfall pumps. It's maddening but very common.

So in response, I figured out that my two main pumps were 1 hp each and the polaris pump was 3/4 hp. Regardless, I think considering all my equipment is functioning correctly, that my money is most wisely spent on getting my pump times automated. Having said all that, what can I do along that route considering my setup with the SWG being powered on only when the main pump is on?

Something you are going to run into is that most base automation systems have 4 high voltage relay curcuits and the equipment you have listed will require 5. I would be finding a way to cut back.

You could potentially remove your fountain pump and filter, plumb the fountain line into the main circulation system, and control it with an actuator to turn it on and off as desired. With this setup, you will either be running your fountains or your circulation system. Never both at the same time.

When your circulation pump dies, you can replace it with a larger VS pump that is controlled by the automation system. At this point, it may be possible to run circulation and fountains at the same time.

The other thing I'd be looking to get rid of is the booster pump. If the pool doesn't get a lot of heavy debris, you may be able to step down to a 360 and run without a booster pump. Same concept applies here. Remove the pump, add a valve with actuator.

All of this could be done with IQ904-P from Zodiac or an Easytouch Lite from Pentair. Neither have a load center, so you can leave existing subpanel.

While all good ideas and I can appreciate where they are going, I feel that this is too much for things that aren't broken at this time. I see what you mean about these systems only having four relay circuits. Im thinking main pump, fountain pump, polaris pump, and SWG. I don't feel the need to automate the heater. I can deal with that manually. Does that change anything?

Something you are going to run into is that most base automation systems have 4 high voltage relay curcuits and the equipment you have listed will require 5. I would be finding a way to cut back.

You could potentially remove your fountain pump and filter, plumb the fountain line into the main circulation system, and control it with an actuator to turn it on and off as desired. With this setup, you will either be running your fountains or your circulation system. Never both at the same time.

When your circulation pump dies, you can replace it with a larger VS pump that is controlled by the automation system. At this point, it may be possible to run circulation and fountains at the same time.

The other thing I'd be looking to get rid of is the booster pump. If the pool doesn't get a lot of heavy debris, you may be able to step down to a 360 and run without a booster pump. Same concept applies here. Remove the pump, add a valve with actuator.

All of this could be done with IQ904-P from Zodiac or an Easytouch Lite from Pentair. Neither have a load center, so you can leave existing subpanel.

Sorry about all the babbling. Just throwing ideas out there.

The heater is controlled by a low voltage relay, so it would not free anything up.

You could put your yard lights on some sort of mechanical timer to free up a high voltage relay.

Not babbling to me! Im listening for any and all ideas! I appreciate your time to respond. I think Im gonna get a pool electrician ( if there is such a thing to come take a look, Im just in the deep end so to speak starting out).

Sorry about all the babbling. Just throwing ideas out there.

The heater is controlled by a low voltage relay, so it would not free anything up.

You could put your yard lights on some sort of mechanical timer to free up a high voltage relay.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.