Backflushing trouble and long hose attached to filter

Jun 1, 2016
NJ
Hi everyone;

10,000 gallon fiberglass. 8 or 9 years old. Pentair DE filter 1.5 hp pump.

Last Fall after closing I installed a 30 foot underground hose from the filter outlet to move the water away from the house. Same size as the filter outlet, my guess 2 inches.

After my first backwash this spring the pressure went up very fast - about 3 days, water got cloudy. Backwashed again and a third time and I have cloudy water and the pressure is still up.

I thought I might have installed the filter wrong and will take it apart and check on Friday. But I'm thinking that maybe it could be that 30 foot hose that killed me to install?

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Flanders?? Where is that?

30 feet of 2" hose will have no appreciable effect.

The connect between your cloudy water and a backwash hose I don't think is related. Cloudy water is most always a pool chem problem. Can you post current pool water results?

NJ, I'll update my profile.

I use CL free so my water results are "different" and are good.

I'll remove the grids and see what I can find.

My first filter media this year was cellulous as I had it in the shed. Then after the first backflush I switched to DE. Think that could be an issue?

Thanks

I generally don't like to cut and paste, but this is the 3rd time this topic has came up since midnight, so:

I just wrote this a few minutes ago (hours now) regarding copper based algaecide, but it also applies to copper mineral systems:

Let me add one other thing to what has already been said, we strongly advise NOT using any copper based algaecides, they can cause stains in the pool, blond hair to turn green, and worst of all while they are somewhat effective at controlling algae, which is visible to the naked eye, but they do little or nothing to control bacteria and viruses so can make you assume clear water equals safe water which may not be the case. With properly chlorinated pools which do not have copper algaecide products in them, we can use the lack of algae as a proxy for the effectiveness of the chlorine against bacteria and viruses, since chlorine is roughly equally effective against most viruses and bacteria as it is against algae. Of course like CYA the only way to remove copper from a pool is through water replacement.

Having said that I am not sue how Titanium ions effect bacteria and viruses, I know silver ions are somewhat effective against them, but only at elevated (hot tub) temperatures

Ok looks like you were both correct, thanks very much. This AM I backwashed then opened the filter. Looked like it should - most DE was gone. I recharged with DE and after 8+ hours I am much cleaner. I think I just had lots of dirt - oak trees just dropped that material they always drop this time of year.

Very happy my 30 feet of undergrounf hose was not the problem.

Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.