Any longer-lived alternative to an R40 pool bulb ?

Apr 28, 2009
My pool has a single pool light with an R40 400W incandescent bulb. The light is adequate, but I've changed the bulb/seal twice over the years, and it only seems to last a short time (given the relatively infrequent use it gets). Last season I put a new bulb in and it was dead by the end of the season ! I've not pulled the unit to see if it leaked, but I suspect the bulbs are just Crud. Is there a longer-lived solution out there ? I'm not ready to drop hundreds of $$$ on an LED system, but are there any better options than just rolling the dice on another R40 incandescent ?

there is unfortunatly not a lot of option for that sized bulb.
Leak would be one quick killer, and moisture in the cable from a previous water entry is another sure fire way to blow a bulb prematurely, and much harder to check for

LEDs are the only option for a longer life - however like you said , it has to be balanced against cost

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.