New, lurked a little last year, now have questions

Pauly

Jul 6, 2008
Napa, CA
I installed our AGP last year late in the summer. Got it up and running for awhile not really knowing what I was doing but running the chlorinator and leaving it at that. Occasionally dumping some bleach in according to the pool calculator. I do have the TF-100 Test Kit.

I never used CYA last summer and was wondering where I get it? Does not seem to show up when I do search online for retailers, maybe I am missing something. Also where do I buy the salt test strips and are they the best for testing levels?

Just got the pool up and running now after cleaning and removing the nasty green color and mosquito larvae, yuck. Followed all of the very helpful information.

Also since it is a agp with a swg what test levels are appropriate for me to produce when I need an opinion from you guys?

Thanks for all the information so far. It has been a great help.

Paul

Welcome to TFP!

CYA is often sold as "conditioner" or "stabilizer", the latter being a more appropriate descriptor of the product.

You mentioned that you got your chlorinator running. You are talking about the saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) cell, correct? If you are on an SWG, you must have 60 to 80 ppm of CYA in the pool to keep the chlorine that your cell generates in the pool. A pool without CYA loses its chlorine in minutes to hours as soon as the sun hits the water. The SWG cell can't keep up with it at that pace.

All of the usual test values to list are appropriate for your pool. This includes FC, CC, TC, CYA, CH, pH, TA, salt level, and borate level if you run borates in your pool. A temperature is nice to have as well but not mandatory.

I'm not sure if Dave (duraliegh) still sells the salt strips or not. I think that AquaCheck salt testing strips are kind of the preferred ones out there. Check http://www.tftestkits.net to see if Dave still has them available. Otherwise, you can Google it and you will come up with several places to buy them.

Ok finally got some CYA at walmart so I put it in this morning at about 9am and just tested the water at 5pm. Here are the results.

FC 4.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.2
TA 115
CYA tricky test (i think) 45
temp 71

I am out of salt strips but i think i am around 4000

So what is the plan now, from what i have been reading I probably need a higher CYA. Been cold here at night, pool was 78 went down to 66 last week and is coming back up now.

Thanks

Paul

Went away for 2 weeks could not leave pump running since no one was around. Dumped some bleach in the pool before i left and put the solar blanket on top.

Here are the readings I got today:
FC: 13
CC: 2
TC: 15
Temp: 73
pH: 7.5
T/A: 140
CYA: 37

still no salt strips so I do not have a number for that, doh

I have no idea what to do?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.