New Salt Conversion and No Chlorine

Jun 1, 2016
Nesconset, NY
Hello. First post here. I have a 33,000 gallon pool with a new SGS Breeze 540 salt generator (generator model designed for up to 40,000 gallons) Sand filter and Variable speed pump installed about 3 weeks ago. After taking samples to two different pool stores about 20 times over the past three weeks I finally have all of my chemical levels looking good except for my chlorine levels. Here is my latest report.

Free Available Chlorine = 0
Total Available Chlorine = 0
Salt = 4,200 (salt generator manufacturer wants this 4,000 to 4,500)
Calcium Hardness = 250
Cyanuric Acid = 80 (salt generator manual says they want this between 20 and 30 but when I called them they said 80 is fine. Also 80 is in the normal range of both pool store tests) I've also read that a high CYA level can cause your pool to require more chlorine??Total Alkalinity = 80
PH = 7.4
Copper = 0
Iron = 0
Phosphates = 0
Nitrates = 0

I was having a low flow problem with the salt generator last week. The generator was not producing any chlorine and I figured out the salt generator has a flow sensor which turns it off if it senses low flow but I fixed that last week and it's been producing chlorine on "boost mode" for the past 3 to 4 days.

I also added 4 bags of chlorine shock this past Monday and still no chlorine. The pool is crystal clear and looks great. I live in New York and the temps have been in the 70' and 80's for the past two weeks so I think the pool temp is high enough for the salt generator to create chlorine.

I don't know what else to do. I do know a lot more about pools then I did before and the only thing I know of right now is that I'm kicking myself for converting to a salt water system from chlorine. I've spent about $600 on chemicals this season already which is twice the amount I spent by the end of last season.

Thanks, Ryan

High CYA requires a higher minimum FC level, but the daily usage will be no higher. In fact, it will likely be lower than at a lower CYA level. Maybe not enough to measure, but less lost to UV from the sun.

What you need is a proper FAS-DPD test kit. With the right tester, you could run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if something is eating all your chlorine. Anything else is just guessing.

Welcome to TFP!

The advice you've received thus far is going to save you a lot of frustration. Some other variables you'll have to consider is since your pool is so large, you'll need to run your pump long enough and your SWG at a high enough setting to maintain your FC.

You need to use bleach (liquid chlorine) and get to your baseline so your SWG can maintain. Your SWG will not be able to keep up if something is growing in your pool.

Absolutely. It usually only comes down to price. Chlorinating liquid from the pool store may be cheaper (when bought in larger quantities) and slightly stronger but it's hard to beat 8.25% bleach from your normal stores. Just make sure you get regular bleach. No splashless, scented or other special formulations.

Use PoolMath to get your dosing right and go for it!

Had the same issue. Converted to a SWCG and my chlorine level wouldnt go up past 1-2. I used liquid chlorine and got it up around 15 (thought there may be alge), passed a OCLT and my SWCG has been keeping up since.

So I can poor straight bleach into my pool vs going to the pool store and buying liquid chlorine?

Just remember that the jugs of bleach should have Julian dates on them to show how fresh they are. 2016154 or 16154 would be year 2016 and the 154th day of the year. Which just happens to be today! So get the freshest stuff you can buy, and avoid Lowes and Home Depot as they store their bleach out on the garden center with the hot sun on it. That weakens bleach enormously.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.