First time pool owner

Hello all, just bought a new house with a pool and I need some advice . The local pool store keeps giving me the runaround and I'm sick of it. Just got my Taylor K-2006 kit in the mail. Here are my numbers.

FC- 3.0
CC- 1.2
PH- 7.2
TA- 130
CH- 130
CYA- 100

I'm new to all this and would appreciate any recommendations. I'm still learning about all the chemicals and I'm constantly looking over the Pool School but I'm still lost. Thanks in advance!

Welcome. I assume your Hayward Chlorinator is a puck dispenser? Your CYA is at least twice as high as it should be. Only way to lower it is to replace water. Thank the pucks for that. Your FC is Faaaar too low for your CYA level. See the chlorine/cya chart in Pool School. You'll need to follow our SLAM procedure in Pool School. We'll worry about TA later.

Yup, that's right. Drain half the water and then refill. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
My CYA was~300 from years of 'professional' maintenance by my lawn service.
You can use the drain water to water lawn or landscaping.
Since you have CC > 0.5, you have too much organic stuff floating around, and you need to SLAM (after you drain and refill.)
TC and FC should be almost identical, and CC <0.5.

The CYA 'stabilizes' the FC by binding some of it, so the effective level is lower.

Since you probably get ++ rain, your CYA would go down eventually, and you COULD just maintain FC at 12 until then.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

There's a LONG TECHNICAL discussion of high CYA levels at
Pool Water Chemistry - Page 3

but the bottom line is, "it gets harder to manage at levels over ~50."

See the graph about 1 page down at
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/558-Pool-Water-Chemistry

Unless your water is very expensive, drain and refill is the easiest. A solar cover should warm it up pretty fast in Fl.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, we have lots of trees that drop lots of stuff in our pool. We run the pump more when the trees are busy to keep debris in the skimmers and off the bottom.

If you are doing a partial drain be very sure to test what your CYA really is because it maxes out at 100. I drained 3/4 of my pool only to fill it up and have a CYA reading of 100 again.

The CYA test maxes out at 100 and it might be even higher. See step 9 on this page: Pool School - CYA

The pucks add CYA and eventually it gets too high and the only way to reduce is with drain and replace water.

Well if your losing chlorine overnight the slam isn't over til the 3 criteria are met.

no over night loss of FC

water is clear

no CC above .5

Also have you brushed the pool? you need to do this daily 1-2 times.

This scrubs the algae off the walls (you may or may not see green) but
if it goes cloudy white thats dead algae.

Run the pump 24/7 til the slam is done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.