Need to get it done right this year or hubby is selling the pool.

QuiltinMom

Platinum Supporter
Mar 24, 2013
Central Iowa
We have been working at getting our above ground pool water level up high enough to turn the pump and filter on. Finally today we are there.

I now have the pump and sand filter running. I just did an initial water test. Don't know if they are accurate or not.

I have bleach on hand ready to go. Do I need to adjust anything before pouring in the bleach?

FC 0
CC. Didn't test
TA 120
CH Didn't test
CYA 20
PH 8.2

Do those numbers look remotely close to what they could be? Do I need to adjust any of those before pouring in bleach?

I used the Pool Math app and it wants approx. 2 1/2 gallons of bleach.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

Thank you.

Water is a light green. Lighter then it was earlier todsy.

I have brushed everything I could reach and didn't really seem to stir up anything.

Just did some PH down ND dumped in 2 1/2 gallons of bleach. How soon should I test again?

Here ya go! Pool School - Recommended Levels I have this printed out and by my test kit. Just know these are suggested levels. Each pool is SO different you might need a level to be a little higher or lower depending on what your pool does.

It is best to keep a log of your tests. You will start to see trends and know what your needs.

Kim:cat:

KimKats, thank you for the links. I, too, have them printed out and also several pages out of pool school. I have them laminated and kept in a 3 ring binder near the pool so I can quickly reference them.

We have been shocking since June 1st. The water is a lovely shade of blue, however, it is still milky/cloudy looking. We can't see to the bottom, however, when the yellow robot is on the bottom of the pool, we can see a color blob, but nothing is clear.

I added stabilizer according to how much the pool math app told me to. It doesn't seem to be clearing up. I haven't tested it again, because I thought that it wouldn't register correctly for a week. (stabilizer was added on Friday, June 3rd).

What else do I need to be doing? The PH is now on the low side a 7.2.

Any suggestions? I feel like the algea is probably dead, but I just can't get the clarity.

THANKS!!!

P.S. Please pardon my lack of responses, we live on a small hobby farm and have had our first Miniature Hereford Calf born here yesterday, so we have been a little distracted. :)

Didn't want to start another thread, but not getting a response

Hello, I have been trying to balance my water for a couple weeks now. I have been updating the original thread, but not getting help over there.

Need to get it done right this year or hubby is selling the pool.

We still cam not seem to get clarity. It looks like little white particles floating in the water. I did add some DE the other day, but don't see a huge improvement.

I can't get a good TA result, either.

Can anyone offer help?

THANKS!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't let the calf get in the pool, I almost had that happen today, an escaped mid sized calf was nosing around the pool with only a screen door separating it from the water.

Ours is an above ground and it would have to figure out how to climb up the ladder to be able get in. If the calf can manage to do that then I will be impressed!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Like Jason said.............lets get a full set of numbers and a picture of the pool.

Congrats on the baby cow! I want to see a pic of it also please!

I will post some photos of the baby cows. We actually have two of them now. I just have to remember what photo hosting sight I used to use to be able to show photos on this forum.

Let's see if this link to the baby cow photos will work.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1264.photobucket.com/user/morristdrm/embed/slideshow/SAAB%20parts%20-%20manuals"></iframe>

Then, on to the pool stuff. Latest numbers are:

FC 1 (the last time bleach was added prior to this result was about 24 hours before, I added bleach after I tested)
PH 7.2 (turning on the fountain to raise this)
TA 170 (I have struggled to get a result on this test, I couldn't get the water to turn red, but this morning it did)
CYA 30-40 (it was about half way between 30 and 40)
CC didn't test
CH didn't test

Overall, I would say we can almost see the bottom. We can certainly see patches where the robot has and has not been. When I brush it the water gets more cloudy. I didn't take a photo today because I didn't think about it until after I brushed and I didn't think that would be any help.

Right now the water level is down and we are having a difficult time keeping the pump primed. This was after I back washed. We live in the country and are on a well, so we need to be conservative with our water. We are trying to bring the level back up, but it will take time.

I thought I had posted the numbers a couple of times before along with some questions asking for help. I was doing this from my phone and apparently it didn't post, this is why I started another thread.

No baby cow picture :( I will wait to see it's sweet face.

See if you can test and add more often. The most important thing with a SLAM is M=maintain the FC at or just a bit above SLAM level for you CYA level. Every time the FC dips below the SLAM level your algae cheers and starts the dance all over again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.