Variable speed pump w/ easy external control

foobert

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 19, 2013
Bay Area, CA
Finally remodeling my 30+ year old pool. I'm drawn to the Pentair Superflo VS (1.5 FRHP -- 342001) because of the relatively low-cost (for a VS), and the trivially easy to use external control inputs built into it, which make my home-grown automation system very simple to connect to it.

Some details about plumbing/equipment:
  • 2.5" for the common return/suction paths to/from pad and pool. Each T's off to two runs of 2" near the pool.
  • 2 skimmers
  • Reused the existing 1.5" pipe coming up from the main drain and spa drain and adapted to 2" as soon as practical.
  • spa has 4 jets. Need to select the jet size.
  • 48sqft DE filter w/ 2" multi-port
  • Solar coming soon
  • Adding a Suction side cleaner ("The pool cleaner") -- 2" run from the wall to the pad.

Using Mark's most excellent spreadsheet, I'm figuring I should be fairly close to "Curve C" for dynamic head, or at least between A and C.

Existing pump is a WhisperFlo 1.5 (1.47 service factor). Old spa had no jets, just 3/4" pipes on the wall -- so I have no reference for what jet action to expect.

Questions:
1) Am I asking too much from the medium head capabilities of the SuperFlo?
2) Are 7/16" jets about right for the SuperFlo (w/ 4 jets)?
3) Any other variable speed pumps (or other) worth considering with similarly easy and cheep "generic" external control capabilities? For reference, this how simple the superflo VS is to remotely activate any of the 4 programmable speed settings:

wiring.png

7/16" jets may be asking too much for a Superflo VS because they each required about 20 GPM (80 GPM total) and the jets will have fairly high head loss not to mention the spa pipe is narrower than recommended. But 3/8" should no problem at all because they only need 15 GPM each or 60 GPM total.

Do you have any filter pressure numbers running the spa with the old pump?

Prior to this in-progress remodel, the spa had no jets and a 1.5" plumbing run, so, this is a rather meaningless data point: ~12 PSI.

Thanks for the 3/8" recommendation. I'll make sure the builders install that size.

And, Mark, a very big thank you for all the pump info and resources you've shared here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.