Looking to get started with limited resources for now

Jun 1, 2016
Amherst, NY
Okay so here's the deal, I've blown most of my pool budget on leveling, chemicals, test kits for which I didn't know any better.
I have a 16'x48 AG pool.

1. am I okay for a bit relying on what I can test with this test kit? I'll be getting the taylor kit soon but just not ready for it yet.

• Total chlorine
  • Bromine
  • pH
  • Total alkalinity
  • Total hardness
  • Cyanuric acid

My Ph is good at around 7.2, my CYA is 0 (Fixing that tonight), my biggest issues is using TC, everything here talks about FC and I Can't test that currently. I've been doing the recommended adds for TC based on the test kit and 10% bleach bottle, am I good to keep doing that for a few weeks while I wait to for my wallet from the initlal hit of money pouring?

My pool is a fresh setup with hose water, PH is good, Hardness is going to be pretty good even though I believe this is not an issue with a vinyl AG pool. (I didn't test but all of our faucets(Even hose bib) are connected to a salt softener).

A boat is a hole in the water designed to keep water out that you throw money into.
A pool is a hole in the ground designed to keep water in that you throw money into.

It sounds like all you need is the FAS-DPD test to augment what you have.

Right here: TFTestkits.net

If you keep the FC level at the upper end of the zone and the water is clear, your TC will be the same as your FC. Your pool hasn't been full long enough to develop any really bizarre problems so you should be able to keep things under control until you get the FAS-DPD test. I just hope the pool store didn't load you up with all kinds of strange chemical elixirs.

attachment.php

Nope no chemical elixirs, I'm a highly diy guy and I'd want to know exactly why and what I'm doing to my pool. I have chlorine and cya and some tabs leftover from my old blowup pool well see what else if anything I need after I get my cya in.. hoping that my chlorine doesn't exit the water as I pour it in this time around

Last edited:
If you are on city water at the very least they do an annual water quality report that tells you hardness etc. What is your source well or municipal?

Theoretically you can just add chlorine based on pool math and volume, however, you have no way to verify sterility or actual concentrations. The strips see no love around here, due to accuracy.

Jared

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

it's city water, with a salt water softener, sadly the hose water is also softened, for some reason after filling I noticed a bit of a salt drop.

I'll be grabbing the recommended test kit in a week or so, my current kit only shows TC up to 5, which with a CYA of 30 I'm already approaching the upper limit for my target chlorine levels, (assuming little to no CC)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.