Scaly Crusty Gross Stuff on Vinyl Walls of Pool

Jana D

May 17, 2016
Springville/Alabama
Hi! I have just got my cloudy pool "clearer" enough that I can nearly see the bottom. This is a HUGE improvement from the swamp that it was. Now I see there is gunk on the walls of the pool, crusty, hard. What do I do (besides scrubbing) - which I have done, but wondering if there is a product I should try. Thanks

... Now I see there is gunk on the walls of the pool, crusty, hard. What do I do (besides scrubbing) - which I have done, but wondering if there is a product I should try. Thanks

I had what sounds similar, it was off white in color, thin layer. very hard if not impossible to remove. What color is yours? I dont have any idea for product though, wish i did. Good luck.

My readings from my analysis at the pool store on May 23:

temp 80
CYA 90
Tot chlorine 6.5 (had just shocked)
free chlor 6.5
pH 7.5
total alk 108
total hardness 102

I'm new to test kits and I do have one but it is older (so I don't know how good it still is, though it's been kept in like new shape)
But when I did a test on my own, the cal hardness was high (if my readings were accurate)

Calcium Scale is like grow-your-own sandpaper. Severe cases can scrape the skin right off any elbows or knees that bang against it. Instant roadrash.

I'd trust your old test kit's "high" CH readings over the pool store's.

If you drive the CSI down to negative numbers by lowering TA and pH, you can possibly dissolve the scale. It will at least soften it a bit so scrubbing will get it off. But to do that, you're going to need a test kit you can trust right there onsite.

My concern about lowering my pH though is that it will cause an algae bloom AGAIN! Question? Could my city water be the problem? I only ask because our beautiful spring water was changed over to a river that is...well nasty. Our tub and toilet are orange tinged! :grrrr:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is the page for Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Go to Poolmath and enter your test results in Now and change PH and TA in Target to see hpw they impact CSI. Keeping it at -0.6 to -0.8 and brushing as often as you can stand to is the first thing to try. It will take a long time, about as long as the scale has been building up. If there are very rough places you can sand them with wet/dry sandpaper to smooth them.

Oh thank you! So glad to read this. I was sweating bullets. Well I've got to add (so hopefully anybody reading this it will help) we just got our plastic white steps out....and a bunch of algae and stuff came out :( - So I believe that has been a big part of the problem, not the calcium scaling really, but nonetheless part of the problem.

Oh I know. Been doing that. But realized we were fighting a losing battle since all the gunk was under the stairs. I'm stumped though about the calcium scaling. Could our hard water be contributing? If so, then draining and refilling probably won't help, will it? Something is obviously not right.

Btw, just did a test and my pH is 7.6 and CH is 110

But from what I've read clouding and scaling happens when CH is too high so... :confused:

If the pH had been high and the TA had been high, it is possible the the CH was higher but fell out of solution and deposited on the surfaces of the pool. You can lower the pH to around 7.2 and lower to TA to the 70-90 range to see if that helps to release the calcium from the walls. Sequestrant for metals and calcium can also help remove calcium scale.

My home was a foreclosure so I knew nothing about my pool's history. My light fixture was covered in scale. I ordered a new light and my pool company never came out to replace it.

So one day my daughter and I got in and scrubbed the dickens out of it. My pool clouded really bad but a lot of the stuff was coming off. I asked about it on here and Richard told me to keep the TA down (mine was on the lower side anyway). It didn't all come off but over time and following TFP methods the light has shed it's skin and looks like a champ.

Listen to Richard...he knows his stuff.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.