Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hello all,

I received a quote from a builder to install a 9k Gallon pool, with built in spa. The quote includes a Hayward 2 speed pump, and it would be about $600 to move up to a variable speed. The electric rates here around $.06 pkwh.....does this seem like a worthwhile upgrade to you or should I save that $600 for something else?

BTW, this is the pool below, it's a fiberglass Viking Pool, Laguna Deluxe model which is 14x30 with a shallow and deep end of 4' and 6'.

Laguna Deluxe | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thank you

The 10-11 months does play a large role but still calculate it to be sure. I have a single speed pump and my cost is very low to run it. I was trying to keep my upfront costs down so it wasn't worth it to me (spent the money elsewhere). For me to recoup a $600 difference it would take years considering it cost me less than $200 per season (4 months) to run my pump. I guess it's hard to calculate the cost for a VS pump because the power consumption varies of course but you could do a best case scenario to compare by assuming it will consume the least amount of power possible. If the best case scenario isn't a clear winner you know it's not worth it since the reality is you'll use more power than that.

In order to calculate the average operating cost for any electrical appliance you can use the following formula:

watts/1000 = kW x hours of operation = kWh x kWh rate = cost

Watts can usually be found on the appliance nameplate. If the nameplate lists amps: volts x amps = watts

Example: How much does it cost to operate a portable electric heater? An electric heater wattage is usually given on the unit itself, or with the literature that comes with it. Our example is 1000 watts. I use the heater an average of 45 hours during winter months (1/2 hour per day for the three winter months). The City Electric Services electric rate during the winter is $.068. So -
1000 watts/1000 = 1 kW x 45 hours of operation = 45 kWh x $.068 = $3.06
Now take an 8 amp heater. The calculation changes just a bit:
8 amps x 120 volts household current = 960 watts/1000 = .96 kW x 45 hours = 43.2 kWh x $.068 = $2.94

My pool pump:

1,840 watts (115 volts X 16 amps (per Jandy specs))
1840 / 1000 = 1.84 kW X 8 hours of operation = 14.72 kWh X $.10 (cost/kWh) = $1.472 per day to run pool pump ($44.16 / month & $185.47 for summer of 2016 (May 14 – September 17).

I have a spreadsheet in my signature that you can use to compare pumps. Here is an example of the output for $0.10/kwh:

PumpEnergyCosts10.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.