Light In The Deep End

MAndrews1

May 3, 2016
Toledo, OH
I have a underwater light in the deep end of my in-ground pool. My first question, and I am not sure if this is a dumb one or not, but can I change the light while it is underwater, or would I have to bring the water level down below the fixture to avoid any type of electrocution? It has never worked (pool came with the house) and I thought I'd put it on the to-do list for this year.

I know there is a switch (unlabeled of course:brickwall: ) on the electrical box by the pump for it and also some sort of wiring access on the ground closer to the light a couple feet from the edge.

A guy showed me his lighting set up in the pool store last night, and now I just have to fix it.

Thanks

See my edit below.

If the light is switched off, there's zero chance of electrocution. But so you know, the power wire runs all the way from the light, through a conduit, to a junction or switch box above ground. There are no connections in-between. So, do NOT cut the wire in the pool and then connect it there, that is a wet area and you cannot have junctions anywhere other than the junction box.

The power cable is generally long enough to take out whole the light assembly and put it up on the deck. Should just be one or two screws to take off the outer ring that holds it in the pool.

Jim R.

Jim has you. My post wasn't quite clear.

You do not have to drain the pool below the light to change it. As Jim noted, you should have enough cord to pull the light up to the deck. By "change it underwater", I meant you do not have to drain the pool below the light to remove it from the niche. Or, if you are replacing the entire fixture as I did, this can also be done with the water at normal level.

My apologies for any confusion.

Lets try and clarify.

There is a light fixture which contains a light bulb. By removing the set screw at the top of the retaining rim you can remove the fixture and set it on the deck. You can then open the fixture and replace the bulb and using a new gasket reseal the fixture and replace it. Replacing the fixture is more complicated. As Robbie said don't cut the cord.

Inyo pools has youtube videos on replacing light bulbs and replacing fixtures. Watch those and a couple of others and come back if you have problems or questions.

Part of the reason I wasn't as clear as I meant to be is because I had the electrician install a new Intellibrite LED fixture. My light was so old there was no fixing it, not to mention the cord broke the minute we pulled the light out because it was so brittle. And the third issue was they ran the cable in galvanized conduit, which was rusted...

Anyway the first new light had an issue, and they were able to replace it (the fixture, not the LED bulb) with the water at the normal level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.