cloudy water

feaz

May 25, 2016
Du Quoin, IL
FC = 7, CC = >0.5, pH = 7.4, TA = 110, CYA = 60 using Taylor K2006 Test Kit. I adjusted the pH before beginning other treatment then raised the FC to 7 then checked CC and the other posted results. The water is less cloudy than when I opened the pool but doesn't seem to be improving much. Sand filter is operating as expected and pressure looks good. I have brushed the pool several times. I didn't SLAM to 24 since the CC was less than .5 at FC = 7. Am I missing something? Do I need to redo the SLAM process and take it to 24? It seems I remember a post about a value of dropping FC overnight being an indicator. It looks to be holding at 7 over the last 24 hours. New at this process as I'm used to spending $$$ on weekly shock, $$$$ chlorine tabs and even more $$$$$ on algaecide and other chemicals. Appreciate the feedback.

I also would recommend an overnight (OCLT) test. Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) This is a good indicator of excessive FC loss in a pool since the sun will not be a factor. I have the same CYA as you and I never let my CYA go below 6, so if yours did drop at some time, you may have some early algae trying to bloom. The OCLT will tell you that. So you can stay at your FC of 7 for now, or go up to the SLAM level if you prefer as added insurance just in case. Test tonight/tomorrow morning and go from there.

Also keep in mind if it's been a long time since cleaning your filter, you might want to do so: Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter.

One final note ... there's no need to add any of those pool store products to your water. Most are useless and;or introduce harmful products you don't need. Stick to the regular liquid bleach only. See the TFP Recommended Chemical listing (link below) for more details.

Let us know if you have anymore questions.

No salt water generator, pump running 24/7. I did an OCLT last night to today and the FC dropped from 7 to 5 but the CC is still under .5 so I guess I'm going to do a full SLAM up to 24 soon as the rain stops. Water did look a lot clearer today but I might as well stop piddling and do what needs done. I just have a fear of dumping 164 oz. of 12.5% bleach in the pool. Will let you know how this works out. I am also going to do a deep clean on the sand filter which has not been done since pool was purchased. Should be interesting. Thanks

The key is that you need to Maintain your FC at 24 as often as you can which means testing and adding bleach throughout the day. it is harder when you have to be away from work, but test and add in the AM, test and add when you get home, test and add after dinner and do another round before you go to bed.

Make sure you brush the pool once a day to remove the biofilm from the algae and check behind and inside the ladder.

Don't need to test anything except FC and CC for now.

Maintain the SLAM until you pass ALL 3 criteria:
1. Pool is sparkly clean without any cloudiness (sand filters take longer so be patient)
2. CC is 0.5
3. You pass the OCLT (I wouldn't bother with this test until you pass the first two criteria).

You got this!

How often should I test while SLAMing? It takes 48 drops of FAS-DPD R-0871 reagent in a Taylor K2006 kit if the FC = 24. I'm going to run out of reagent before I get this pool ready for summer. I think I saw somewhere on the forum that you can use a 5ml sample and reduce the number of reagent drops by one-half. Is this acceptable? Pool looks much better today. Started at FC = 20 and raised it back up to FC = 24. Will test again in a couple of hours. Must say this is more work than the old weekly procedure of add a bag of shock, throw a couple of chlorine tabs in the skimmer and watch pH. I'll compare cost and effort at years end. I'm not a lazy person but I don't expect to spend every day baby sitting a pool. Pool Math recommends FC = 5-9 after SLAM what do you recommend and how often do you test during the summer?

As your FC holds, you can decrease the time between testing. Don't worry about testing for CCs until your FC holds. The K2006 is okay for maintaining your pool, but for a SLAM you need more reagents. You should order refills. I suggest TF test kits XL refill: TFTestkits.net

You can use the 5 ml sample until your refill arrives.

The TFP way is the most economical way to maintain your pool as you only add what your pool needs when it needs it. With the TFP way, you won't have to purchase bags of expensive shock, expensive algaecides, pucks or any other pool store potions.

Once you get the water clear, maintaining is easy and cheaper than blindly dumping in pucks and shock. My chem maintenance is about 5 minutes a day which includes testing FC and PH and dosing of bleach. Test other things once a month TA, CH and CYA. I use cheap acid from HD to reduce PH and TA, baking soda to increase TA and 20 mule team borax to increase PH (or I aerate to increase PH). I order hardness increaser from amazon to save $.

I save the pucks for when I'm out of town or if my work schedule gets really crazy.

Your pool didn't get cloudy overnight and it won't get clear overnight. It take pool owner patience to get it clear.

Make sure you only backwash when your pressure rises 25% higher than your clean pressure. Sand filters work better when they are a little dirty.

Once in maintenance mode you will find out how much FC your pool uses in a typical day. I always shoot for a little above target for my CYA level so I never get to the minimum. I have a half lab/half otter that uses up a lot of FC with the things he puts in the pool to fetch... plus brings a lot of dirt in the pool. As you test and adjust you will learn what works for you and your pool.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

P.S. Your CYA level is high which is the reason why you have to use so much of the FC reagents. You really don't want your CYA any higher and using powder/solid forms of chlorine will only increase the amount of FC you will need to keep your pool clear.

Checked my CYA today and it is holding at 60. I have checked FC every day since the SLAM and am holding it around 5-7 with 8.25% bleach. pH has risen a little to 7.8 but there is little or no CC and pool water is clearer than it has ever been. I think I will now go to testing every other day as FC has never dropped below 3 with daily testing. Have had numerous swimmers the last few days and it has been 93+ degrees and sunny during that period. I have turned my son-in-law and brother-in-law on to your web site and they are now going with your recommendations. Ordered reagents on Ebay at vminnovations as they seem to have the lowest prices and offer free shipping on all chemicals. Very pleased with the outcome and thank you for your help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.