is my 'filter problem ' really a Chem problem?

v-four

May 31, 2016
Vernon Connecticut
Hi, new here..awesome site btw.

So just got house with A pool.
Pool guys opened and put 2 gal shock and I think some algae stuff in.

Filter works, great pressure (new cartridge ) at first. after about an hour the doohickey that returns the water into pool loses probably more than half of its initial pressure. (You can see that water moves much slower.)

If I clean the filter really well, I'll get my pressure back..for about an hour.

My wife brought a same to the pool place, and they said it was almost good, but needed 'alkalinity up'?
So she put the stuff in, and it went up.

Now, I'm reading, and will order the home test kit (can I get this at a pool store?)

In the meantime, using the test strip from the homeowner from 2004, I get the following results :

FC: .5
Ph: 7.8-8.4
TA: 180-240
CH:
CYA:? 0- 30-50

The 'ranges' I list are when the color is between 2 color options.

What say yall?

Do I have algae blocking my filter and have to clean it every hour?
How do I get rid of this algae in meantime?

Water was a little cloudy/ dirty when 1st opened, now is pretty clean, yet cld be clearer I think.
Definitely a little slippery on the liner though.

Hope that wasn't too long. Thank you again, awesome site.

Terry

Terry,

I think you already know the answer to your question. Your filter is fine, it is doing its job of collecting the dead algae.

Please read "Pool School" and then decide if you want to rely on the Pool Store, or take control over your water yourself.

Like anything else, the right tool for the job is important. Yes, you can get a screw out with a pair of vise-grips, but it sure makes it harder. Buy one of the test kits recommended in pool school and you'll never have to go to the pool store again.

Jim R.

Thanks for the quick responses already. I did NOT like the pool guys at all.
Oh, Vernon CT btw,..tthought I wrote that somewhere. .

Anyway, I did do the crash course in reading the pool skool ( well just enough to be dangerous so far)
;)

I will continue my schooling..and order the test.

A few pool stores, particularly those that sell to commercial pool services may have the K-2006 in stock, don't let them tell you the K-2005 is the same thing, it is NOT, it is missing the important FAS-DPD chlorine test, and only has the color matching DPD chlorine test. If by chance you are lucky and they do have it in stock, check the expiration date, Taylor starting printing expiration dates on their kits in January of 2015, expiration date is 24 months from pack date. Also I would strongly advise against ordering it from any of the big warehouse online sellers as you don't know if the test kit has been stored correctly (it needs to be stored in a climate controlled area).

Thanks guys.

So, in the meantime, is it normal to haveto clean the cartridge every few hrs?

I definitely lose pressure going to pool.

Also, what is normal psi for a clean cart filter?
I'm seeing 16+ when clean, and about 21 ish when dirty.

Water IS pretty clear though. ..hhow long will I be doing these 2 hour filter cleanings..and what wld be 'normal pressure?

Cuz it feels awesome ly powerful when I clean it.

Thanks
T

Thanks guys.

So, in the meantime, is it normal to haveto clean the cartridge every few hrs?

I definitely lose pressure going to pool.

Also, what is normal psi for a clean cart filter?
I'm seeing 16+ when clean, and about 21 ish when dirty.

Water IS pretty clear though. ..hhow long will I be doing these 2 hour filter cleanings..and what wld be 'normal pressure?

Cuz it feels awesome ly powerful when I clean it.

Thanks
T
Filter pressure depends on the size of the pump and the size of the pipes and their lengths and how many twists they make. 16 psi clean sounds reasonable, though.

The every-two-hours cleaning will stop once you start killing algae faster than it can reproduce and get it out of there. Be grateful you don't have a DE filter. They load up even faster and are much more of a PITA to clean.

Terry,
there is no certain pressure that you should expect. All systems are different and there are lots of variables.

Here is what do.

1. clean the filter really well and start the pump and let the air clear out of the system.
2. Record the pressure on your pressure gauge. Consider this your CLEAN filter pressure.
3. When the pressure reading on the gauge RISES by 25%, then its time to clean the filter again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for replies. .new question (am I correct in keeping in same thread?)

I vacuumed once, by siphoning hose out of pool, as I have a cartridge filter.

Worked pretty well..bbut I was thinking..
If I hook vacuum hose to skimmer, (cclose main drain),
Shut valve that returns water to pool (have a shutoff at filter)...
Hookup my drainage hose to bottom of filter housing, and open its valve,...with cartridge removed, would this setup technically 'vacuum to waste'?
As the pump would still be sucking from skimmer, and seems like it would push my vacuumed water right out my drain port?..
Hope this makes sense to yall.
thanks.

Back again ;) With ANOTHER new question.
I'm still wondering if (as I've read) it is best to keep posting slightly different questions in same thread, as I feel people will think they've read them, and just pass by, especially as they get longer.

So I don't yet have a proper kit, but my wife likes to listen to the professionals 1st, although, I'm usually right in the end. ;)

Here's what the professionals say, and what should I do ..before my wife insists (with great intentions) on ruining this pool with expensive chemicals from les...I mean her favorite pool place? :roll:

pool 6-2-16.jpg

Thanks

Back again ;) With ANOTHER new question.
I'm still wondering if (as I've read) it is best to keep posting slightly different questions in same thread, as I feel people will think they've read them, and just pass by, especially as they get longer.

So I don't yet have a proper kit, but my wife likes to listen to the professionals 1st, although, I'm usually right in the end. ;)

Here's what the professionals say, and what should I do ..before my wife insists (with great intentions) on ruining this pool with expensive chemicals from les...I mean her favorite pool place? :roll:

View attachment 49294

Thanks
You need bleach. The rest looks okay.

And a test kit. ;)

You should get your own test kit, we generally trust pool store testing about as much as we trust their advice. If you want to prove to your wife just how untrustworthy pool store testing is, get a sample of water from the pool, divide it into 3 or 4 container and take it in for "free" testing at 3 or 4 different pool stores, chances are the results will be all over the map.

Of course don't tell the pool stores what you are doing, if you do they may try extra hard to get good results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.