JoeSelf

Gold Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Glassboro, NJ
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
OK, Long one. Battled slight algea at the end of the year. Pool was clear up until August. I could tell at night by turning on the light. I could see it. The steps create a wall when in the pool. You can see from the pictures the effect where the shock would accumulate at the steps and fall to the bottom. The wrinkles under the steps (darker blue) are from when I got a bright idea to throw a puck under the steps..(long before TFP) Bad idea.

So last year I started off with putting in way too much algaecide in the (2) steps/weights, half a bottle each. Good thing I was still at SLAM level to compensate for the FC loss. The steps are held in place by filling the loose steps with gravel. New this year and washed in SLAM or higher level bucket then into the steps. I clean the steps and weights thoroughly before placing in the pool. The initial blast of algaecide in the steps lasted for a good couple of months. I would take out the steps every two or three weeks & drain them, bring water up to SLAM and put them back in.

This year I have started with algaecide initial dose and weekly maintenance. I figure 2-3 ozs in each step initially & then bi-weekly, along with maintenance doses. Last year I would pull out the steps brush below, leave out over night and then re-install. I followed all procedures last year and still got algae.

I have great flow in the pool until the steps go in and I figure that the algeacide will help when they go back in. I've drilled more holes last year in both sides but it is still a wall in the pool. These are for my wife to get in and little ones to play on. They won't go away.

take a look at the pics. JoeSelf Step Pics by joeself7 | Photobucket

All responses appreciated.. PS I left my kit outside overnight Monday and didn't find out til Tuesday after work. Had XL option and blue kit inside. At least I can check CL and PH until new arrives.

Last edited:
Current numbers

FC 8
CC 0.0 5/30
PH 7.6
TA 120 5/11
CH 150 5/11
CYA 40

Have not backwashed since opening. Pressure has not risen at all. I think I'll backwash since changing the pump just to check the clean pressure and lose some of the 3" of rain from Saturday.

I know its the busy time now but look my plan over when you guys can.

Thanks, Joe

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.