High Amps, high temperature on 2hp pump system

Jun 1, 2016
Okeechobee FL
Hey everybody
I'm new to this site/community. I am an instrument tech at a power plant and a little embarrassed as to why I can't figure out why my pool pump draws so many amps. Let me start by saying this is a brand new motor/pump assy. I just purchased Hayward Super II HP Pool Pump because I was on my 3rd or 4th motor on my other 2 hp Jandy pump. I got tired of replacing motors on the other pump and just bought the Hayward. I have a 30 amp service to my pool control box fed with #6. It's about 75 ft run. My pool control box has a mechanical timer that allows the pump to run about 6 hrs a day. There is a 20 amp GFCI breaker in the control box that supplies the mechanical timer and motor. all wires are #10 to the timer and to the motor. The motor is six ft away from the box. The DE filter is clean with a 12 psi (new Gauge) reading. With skimmer and bottom drain vales fully open the the suction of the pump, and waterfall and wall return jets valves fully open my amps run 12.5. The FLA of the motor is only 10.8. And with my IR gun the surface temp of the motor displays 160 f. I played around with the valves by closing it off restricting flow, and my amps do go down, but I know I shouldn't have to do that. I may be leaving something out, so any ideas please..