Vacation maintenance

WildAl

Jul 25, 2012
Been awhile since we have actually gone on a summer vacation but we are doing this year. I will be away from the pool for appx. 8-9 days.

Is there any reason why I couldn't use Trichlor tablets during this time? The way I figure it, if I shock the pool before I leave, then have a neighbor come over to check water levels and put a floater in for me about 3 days into my trip (and restock floater if needed until I get back) there shouldn't be any problems with CYA accumulation over such a short time. The CYA is currently around 35-40. I could pull the floater out immediately when I get back and go back to our tried and true BL method.

Just want to make sure I am not missing anything here. Another option I thought of is to have my neighbor add a certain amount of BL daily based on what the pool has needed so far this season but the tablets would seem to be the best option for something like this.

Let me know if I am missing anything. Just don't want to come home to a green pool!!:cool:

You can, as long as you know the effect of the tablets on your chemistry. If your CYA is relatively low, and the tablets won't add much, then that's exactly where they are useful.

You said "Shock the pool". What do you mean by that? If you mean add enough liquid chlorine to get up to shock level, that's great. If you mean "dump a bunch of powder product in there without knowing the results", then no. Note, we do not like the term "shock the pool" around here, because it implies the latter.

Exactly right, shock level with BL just like when I opened it. I quit using all powder stuff in 2012. Had the "green pool of death" that summer, discovered the BL method/TFP and never looked back!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.