Confused about SWGs

Jul 12, 2015
Winterport, Maine
I have an above ground 24' Radiant Metric pool being installed later this month and I am searching for the best SWG that I can afford. I understand that I should go for one 2-3 times larger but I'm not sure I can afford to do that right now. I only have about $700 to comfortably spend but could probably come up with a little bit more if necessary. I've been trying to do my research but am just getting more confused so I'd appreciate any input anyone can give me! I'm leaning towards either a Hayward or CircuPool, after doing research on this site. My main questions are:

1) There seems to be some concern about getting local service for the CircuPool units should you need it - has that been an issue for anyone?
2) Hayward AquaTrol vs Aqua Rite - am I understanding correctly that the Aqua Rite is for inground pools only and I would need the AquaTrol unit?
3) If it is the AquaTrol that I need, I seem to only be able to find those for up to 18K gallons. Do they make larger units?
4) Do SWGs work on 120v or do I need 240v? I definitely can't afford to have 240 installed right now. :-(

Edit: I have read, since originally posting this, that "inground" SWS, like the Aqua Rite, can be used with above ground pools. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I can answer these:
1. Circupool can be exchanged by the company you buy from, or from the factory. While you wait, you use bleach.
4. Circupool and some others (if not all) have an internal switch to move them to 120v.
5. Rather than say "not", I'd say go look at Discount Salt Pool - Discount Salt Pool - Chlorine Generators - Chlorinators Lots of happy customers here. And you get a free upgrade.

Hi selkieinme
the more chlorine a swg produces does mean the shorter time it needs to run to keep your pool in good shape.
Thats why we recommend one 2x larger than your pool. The cell will last twice as long.

Be sure, or even call on the phone to make sure the model you want will work on 120V. Some will, others wont.

good luck with your pool, and I think a SWGs are awesome.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.