Equipment Rework: New filter and re-plumb

May 31, 2016
Raleigh
Background first: my house is 28 years old and I've owned it for a year as of this past week. The pool is Gunnite with plaster finish (I think), original to the house, and I'm not sure how to describe the shape of it. Coffin-shaped? :)
The pool has one skimmer and one main drain.

Pool%20Overview.jpg

The Problem
You'll notice dead algae in the bottom. The pool filter I've got no longer seems to be doing a good job. When manually vacuuming the pool, it would get saturated enough that it would simply begin spitting the algae right back into the pool; a back-flush would bring it back into proper operation. But worse yet, it's leaking from around the multi-port at the top. When manually vacuuming the bottom of the pool a few weeks ago, I heard a little pop and spray. Looks like I shifted an O-ring at the top of my sand filter and it sprays water out when the filter gets full enough. It also appears that it used to have a pressure gauge, but the previous homeowner removed it at some point and blanked it off. I tried unscrewing the multi-port from the top of the filter to get at the O-ring and it didn't budge. So I'm pondering simply replacing it.

A shot of the setup.

Old%20Filter%20Setup.jpg

The filter is a Tagelus TA-60 31 square-foot sand filter rated for 60 GPM. I have no idea how old it is. Modern manuals for the same unit - apparently a variant is still manufactured - say the manufacture date is the first four digits of the serial number in week/year format. Those digits are 6753 for me, so unless my filter was manufactured in 1953, then it's at least old enough that the statements I could find about manufacture date simply no longer apply. The multi-port isn't attached by a collar, but seems to be screwed in.

It looks like the lines out to the pool are 1.5" (I admittedly haven't measured them), while the lines for the equipment are 2" (I have measured them). Lines to/from may be 2". I'll check when I get the chance.

Making Plans
I need to do some yard drainage work around the equipment to make sure rainwater stops flowing by it. Then I want to build a box around it of treated lumber and fill it with gravel so rain doesn't splash mud up on the equipment. I may also build a small shelter. Depends on what my HOA says I can do. The electrical boxes are under the bucket; and while the boxes are themselves set up with weather-resistant covers, there's a break in the conduit to the pool pump that needs repairing.

On top of all that, I want to replace the filter unit and replumb some of this. I'm currently looking at Cartridge Filters. Sand filters are the easiest to maintain, but involve frequent back-washing that means I have to keep refilling the pool from my well. I like the idea of the cartridge filter and its "swap filter and done" possibilities. But that depends on which unit I get...

Which Cartridge Filter?
So as I can see it, I have two options for cartridge filters: single-element or multi-element. I've kept my search to Hayward, just because it's a name I know. Single element units top out at 200 square feet. Multi-element can get... big. With an 18,000 gallon pool, the minimum using the TFP-recommended math is 215 sqft. So 200 square feet would put me just under that.

At the moment, I'm still inclined to choose a single-element filter, however, such as Hayward's C200S. It looks like it's built to be very easily disassembled, with a simple latch-and-twist removal of the top. With a single large filter costing about $115, it's also financially feasible to keep two filters on hand and swap filters when one gets dirty. Then I can run the clean filter while I go clean the one I just removed. The downside of the low square footage is that I'll be cleaning it more frequently.

Jumping up to multi-element, I've looked at Hayward's C4030 425 sqft unit. With this size, I should be cleaning the filters much less frequently. The downside is when I need to do so, I'll need tools just to take the filter unit apart. The additional complexity means additional points of failure, too. A few Amazon reviews of the unit mention failing manifolds at the top of the unit, for example. A replacement filter set is $200 - $300.

Replumbing
Next plan is to replace the 90 degree fitting from the pump to the filter with more smoothly radiused elbows and try to do the same with the return from the filter to get rid of the extra bends in the pipe. Here's the order I'd like:

From Pool -> Ball-valve Cut-offs for skimmer/main drain -> Pump -> Jandy 3-way for waste -> Flowvis -> Filter -> Check Valve -> In-line Chlorinator -> Jandy cut-off -> Return to pool

Installing the Flowvis will help me be more accurate about my run-times to turn the pool over at least once per day. The Jandy 3-way will still let me pump to waste to drain the pool for the winter.

And I figure I'll attach unions to the pool lines directly to the lines to/from the pool so I can disconnect/replace/reorient the lines to my equipment as needed. Do you all think I'll have any problems with pressure causing the unions to give out and leak at the lines from the pool? The previous homeowner put rubber couplers on those lines and I've had to tighten them once already; and I can watch them momentarily bulge every time I shut off the pump.

As for the in-line chlorinator, I see strikes against using chlorine tablets. That and a floater are my current method. So I might have to abandon that idea. Switching to a cartridge filter means no more back-washing, and so my CYA levels would probably head skyward pretty quickly. :)

Thanks, all. Sorry this thread is so long! But please provide any and all feedback on these plans and let me know how I can do it better and do it right!

Throw some DE in to your filter and that should allow you to vacuum out the dead algae.

For a cartridge filter, I would go no less than 300 sq-ft. Otherwise, you will be cleaning it fairly often. I have a 400 sq-ft filter on a 20k pool and clean it only once per year.

Installing the Flowvis will help me be more accurate about my run-times to turn the pool over at least once per day.
Forget about turnover, it just doesn't matter. Please read this: Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Welcome to TFP!

I see in your intro thread that you are planning to buy a proper test kit, that is a great first step.

Your algae problem is easily fixed. I'm sure you have read a lot of Pool School, so you already have this in mind.

Since you are going to be replumbing and doing dirt work, may I suggest that you separate the pump a bit further from where your pipes come up from the ground? Giving yourself a bit more room there will make it easier to plumb, and leave you more room for replacing any valve that eventually fails. Doing this will only have a negligible effect on you water flow. While you are replumbing, bear in mind that the DWV (Drain, Waste, Vent) fittings with their short collars will not be enough to form a good joint. Where you want to change the 90's to sweeps, you could use a pair of 45's. However, the change will really not give you much of an increase in flow. There are several threads here dealing with that, primarily from our resident hydrodynamic expert, mas985. Search for his posts if you are interested in this.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Throw some DE in to your filter and that should allow you to vacuum out the dead algae.
Good point. I've seen that around on the forums here. Though with my filter coming apart as it is, I'd probably blow the multi-port clean off once the pressure got up. :D When I switch to a cartridge filter, I'll probably look to prime it with just a bit of Purifiber.

For a cartridge filter, I would go no less than 300 sq-ft. Otherwise, you will be cleaning it fairly often. I have a 400 sq-ft filter on a 20k pool and clean it only once per year.
Yeah, drat. This is one of those things where I know that going larger is sensible, but the single-element filters seem so much less complicated. From what I've been able to tell, all the multi-element filters use either a band clamp around the center or else, in the case of the System3, multiple locking points around the periphery.

Forget about turnover, it just doesn't matter. Please read this: Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
Got it. I'll read through this.

I see in your intro thread that you are planning to buy a proper test kit, that is a great first step.

Your algae problem is easily fixed. I'm sure you have read a lot of Pool School, so you already have this in mind.
Yes, SLAM and proper chemical levels are the proper fix. The filter will be just to remove the dead algae and other particulates from the water.

Since you are going to be replumbing and doing dirt work, may I suggest that you separate the pump a bit further from where your pipes come up from the ground? Giving yourself a bit more room there will make it easier to plumb, and leave you more room for replacing any valve that eventually fails. Doing this will only have a negligible effect on you water flow. While you are replumbing, bear in mind that the DWV (Drain, Waste, Vent) fittings with their short collars will not be enough to form a good joint. Where you want to change the 90's to sweeps, you could use a pair of 45's. However, the change will really not give you much of an increase in flow. There are several threads here dealing with that, primarily from our resident hydrodynamic expert, mas985. Search for his posts if you are interested in this.
The only problem I'll face is that if I remove the plumbed fittings for the lines coming from the pool, they're going to gush water because they're physically below the level of the water in the pool. For the skimmer, I could probably block it with a Gizmo, and for the main drain I might be able to block it with something like a main drain mat. That's the big hurdle, though, getting those fittings dry enough to change. Considering that I need to repair the pump electrical conduit anyway, it's not a bad idea to do it all at once.

I'll search mas985's threads to buff up before I do any serious work, though. Thanks for the recommendation.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Will do!

BTW, I forgot to add, if you close your pool at all, I would put in a filter bypass and a vac to waste capability. Otherwise you may end up cleaning the cartridge multiple times during opening.

BTW, I forgot to add, if you close your pool at all, I would put in a filter bypass and a vac to waste capability. Otherwise you may end up cleaning the cartridge multiple times during opening.
Yeah, I want a waste capability for actually closing the pool, as well. So I'll put a Jandy 3-way just after the pump. That way pumping to waste will be easy. Thanks!

EDIT: Thinking over it, I didn't grasp the suggestion for a bypass at the first. But it makes sense to have the ability to circulate the water in the pool when getting the chemicals right, to ensure a mix, while the pool is still a soup and before the filter can really do its work. I like it. And it's easy to add.

By the way, what do you recommend for hooking the valves up to the main plumbing?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.