EMERGENCY ACTIONS - About to cut pumps out in case of flood

RiffeShooter

Platinum Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
Lake Jackson, Texas
So, we are about to have an imminent flood situation thanks to the Brazos river and I figured I may as well pick up the equipment. For some unknown reason the building did not put in unions so I'm about to head out with the sawzall and when I reassemble I will put in unions. Just wanted to throw up some pics in case ya'll may have any suggestions. My plans are to cut in sections where I will be able to easily reassemble with unions. I put the letter "X" on where I'm thinking of cutting and putting the unions back in. Can't hurt to ask! :)

If you do have any comments, please respond quickly. I'm going to go pull the low voltage lights around the pool now and then plan on chopping away!

I will cut the power to the pool and shut off the gas of course. I also picked up some 2" caps to cover the open pipes and will close the valves. Thanks!

Ideally the unions are right in front and above the pump allowing you to work on the fitting into the pump if it leaks. Not possible with yours.

You may not fit a union in front of the right pump since the pipe below may be in the way.

Ideally the unions are right in front and above the pump allowing you to work on the fitting into the pump if it leaks. Not possible with yours.

You may not fit a union in front of the right pump since the pipe below may be in the way.

I noticed that and when the time for reassembly comes I may do some reconfiguring but you are correct, there will be an issue putting a union on the inlet of the right pump because of the pipe below it.

Man, I keep going back and forth on whether or not to do it now. I did order 6 of those unions above and they should be here Monday or Tuesday. If I take the equipment now I will have no filtration until at least those days. So, I'm thinking these are my options...

1.) Take equipment now.
2.) Turn power back on bring pool up to shock level and then take equipment.
3.) Turn power back on, monitor the yard for rising water, and pull equipment if it looks inevitable. If it doesn't happen, great, I'll put the unions on sometime next week.

I have seen the yard flood before and I can see the water creeping up, I just have no idea about this river stuff and what may happen. Does the water creep up as normal or does a friggin' Tsunami just come jamming on through. :crazy:

You may not have filtration but you could have circulation with just adding bleach and brushing.

I have to say the pool would be my last worry in your case. Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You may not have filtration but you could have circulation with just adding bleach and brushing.

I have to say the pool would be my last worry in your case. Good luck.

Thanks! And I hear ya'. The pool came last, while I've never had my shop flood, I've already moved other items just in case. I know flood insurance is weird and they do not cover pools and I didn't want to mess with it for expensive tools in the shop, nor in this instance would my homeowner's since it would fall under flood. At least with my attached garage packed homeowner's would kick in should it flood and flood not cover it. :D

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't want to cut, you can just pull the motors, 4 bolts each

I like cutting up stuff but I did not think of that!

We are still flooding up here in Richmond. They say the river has crested but the water is still rising very slowly as of an hour ago. We are behind a levee system so we are fine but many of my friends are not so lucky. I hope the water stays away from you.

We are still flooding up here in Richmond. They say the river has crested but the water is still rising very slowly as of an hour ago. We are behind a levee system so we are fine but many of my friends are not so lucky. I hope the water stays away from you.

I may have to do like that woman did over here and build a levee around my property. Lol Glad to hear you are OK! I hope it stays away as well. I have nothing new to report here, still dry and no sight of rising water but we are in no way out of danger of it. I hope everyone is wrong. I did bring the pool up to shock level and have not cut the pumps yet. I should have the unions on Monday but will be ready to pull the motors today if need be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.