Help with problem pool

nutmux

Jun 1, 2016
Gibratlar
We just moved into a house with a 10mx5m pool in Spain which has been very badly maintained for the last 10 years.

The water was green and full of insects, but a shock of chlorine and PH reducer has made the water clear.

It has a very think layer of calcium on the sides and bottom below the water line. It is just like very course sand paper. it is impossible to shift with a brush. The water certainly has calcium, but my neighbor has the same water and his pool is immaculate, and smooth.

The bottom and sides were covered in what looks like green powder which is easy to sweep into clouds. I hoover all this out, but it is back the next day. it seems implossible to clean.

In curved corners between the sides and the bottom, the calcium is dark brown.

There is only one pool shop in the area, and they are completely useless. They said they would need to drain the pool and clean it with some chemicals, which they would charge $1500, and then they would change my pool pump system to use salt and ad some kind of automatic ph regulator ($2000). I an afford neither.

I have bought 3 tests kits, and the chlorine level is ok. Two of the tests kits say the PH is WAY too high, off the scale, and one kit says the PH is too low off the scale.

Assuming its way to high, I have put 30l of PH reducing liquid (acid) over the last 2 weeks, it has made no difference of any sort.

It is hot and sunny here in Spain.

I can only find test kits for ph and chlorine, I know there are a lot of other chemical levels to measure. How does one get them measured?

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: We've had others from your area here as well. We know your resources are limited, but the one thing you WILL need to have 100% control of the pool is the right test kit. We recommend either the TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. Should be able to get one of them ordered and mailed to you - at least via EBay or something. Those are really the only two test kits that hold any real validity here and will give us the info we need to help. For your algae, please see the "SLAM" link below in my signature. That's how we handle algae when it happens, but again ... you must have one of those test kit.

Nice to have you with us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.