So much rain! How to balance?

Oct 6, 2015
TX
Hi all,

Well our first weekend swimming went great! We've been getting a lot of rain here and I've had to drain the pool because it was overflowing. I've lost CYA and calcium (which was already down to 170) is now at 120. We're expecting more rains in the next few days.

So how should I balance the chemicals? I added $100 worth of calcium last year to take it up to 250, now it's low again. Should i keep adding calcium and watching it go down the drain? Or should I wait until the stormy weather has passed (next couple of weeks) and then add calcium?

Also I have a bucketful of trichlor tabs that I got when I wasn't planning on using the TFP method. Since my CYA is low anyway, should I just use these for a month or so? *ducks for cover*

Thanks for any tips!

If you already have the trichlor pucks and are low on CYA, I would use them. Why waste them just because the TFP method is preferred? When CYA gets back to proper level, go back to TFP method.

As far as Calcium - You have a plaster pool. You need to get that up to proper levels. It sucks that more rain may be coming and you may have to top off CH again. But that is a better solution than ruining your plaster finish with a low CH level.

I am right there with you, we are being bombarded with rain up here too. I had just added 50 lbs of calcium myself, and now I watch my pool overflow it out.

Lower calcium for a few more days isn't going to be the end of the world. I'm waiting until Saturday, then I'll test and correct. They say the rain should end up here sometime then.

Sure, put the tabs in since your CYA is low, your pool is overflowing, and your SWG doesn't work. Not a thing wrong with that idea.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as Calcium - You have a plaster pool. You need to get that up to proper levels. It sucks that more rain may be coming and you may have to top off CH again. But that is a better solution than ruining your plaster finish with a low CH level.

Have you seen the news regarding how much rain Houston is getting? Adding CH right now would be a waste IMO. He can make it to the weekend.

Have you seen the news regarding how much rain Houston is getting? Adding CH right now would be a waste IMO. He can make it to the weekend.

I didn't realize it was that drastic. I've been more concerned with the early heat wave in the Northeast. What are we talking? Over 3" a day? Yes - I am not about tossing chemicals (and hence $$$) down the drain. But a 120 CH is quickly going to sub 100 if you guys are getting that much rain. I would be very concerned with my pool's surface at that level.

Some areas are getting in excess of 7" per day. We had a line come through (during the constant light rain) that was 3" in an hour. Rivers are several feet above flood plain and haven't crested, people are being killed by flood waters, the works. It is excessive.

Yes we were among the lucky ones that got 7-8" an hour! I'll go ahead and order the calcium. It'll probably take a few days until it gets here. I'll be ready when it's time to add the calcium. Thanks :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can also switch your chlorine method to cal-hypo hypo for a while, each lb will raise CH by about 3ppm. I have been considering this myself but I haven't done the math to compare the costs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.