sudden psi drop on gauge

May 17, 2009
i've just noticed a 2-3 psi drop on the pressure gauge.
i made sure the the skimmers and pump basket were clean. no change.
when the pump basket was out i reached in and didnt find any garbage.
might it be the pump motor is going ?

thanks
bob

When my pressure drops it usually means some debris (grass etc.) stuck at the impeller and I have to reach in and pull it out with my fingers. I'd love to find a way to keep stuff from getting past the hair strainer basket. Seems to be a poor design on the Sta-Rite pumps.

Kinguni said:
When my pressure drops it usually means some debris (grass etc.) stuck at the impeller and I have to reach in and pull it out with my fingers. I'd love to find a way to keep stuff from getting past the hair strainer basket. Seems to be a poor design on the Sta-Rite pumps.

That would be my guess as well. The other typical cause is something stuck in one of the suction pipes.

Kinguni said:

I have so much Crud falling off the trees, through the screened in lanai, past the skimmer basket and past the pump basked that i am about to scream. Since we have not had much rain until recently everything is getting washed into my pool. I would agree that you probably have something caught up in the impeller. As soon as it gets a bit of a clog i loose about 4-5psi. Since my hand wont fit in i have a handle to a wooden spoon that i move around in the hole to try and clean it out. Seems to work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.