Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sudden psi drop on gauge

1. Back To Top    #1

sudden psi drop on gauge

i've just noticed a 2-3 psi drop on the pressure gauge.
    i made sure the the skimmers and pump basket were clean. no change.
    when the pump basket was out i reached in and didnt find any garbage.
    might it be the pump motor is going ?

thanks
    bob
    18,000 gal inground vinyl pool
    25K Swimpure Plus with sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: sudden psi drop on gauge

My guess is that it is not a problem. Turn the pump off and then back on and see if it returns to normal. The guages are cheap and not particularly accurate.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

When my pressure drops it usually means some debris (grass etc.) stuck at the impeller and I have to reach in and pull it out with my fingers. I'd love to find a way to keep stuff from getting past the hair strainer basket. Seems to be a poor design on the Sta-Rite pumps.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Kinguni
    When my pressure drops it usually means some debris (grass etc.) stuck at the impeller and I have to reach in and pull it out with my fingers. I'd love to find a way to keep stuff from getting past the hair strainer basket. Seems to be a poor design on the Sta-Rite pumps.
    That would be my guess as well. The other typical cause is something stuck in one of the suction pipes.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Kinguni
    I have so much **** falling off the trees, through the screened in lanai, past the skimmer basket and past the pump basked that i am about to scream. Since we have not had much rain until recently everything is getting washed into my pool. I would agree that you probably have something caught up in the impeller. As soon as it gets a bit of a clog i loose about 4-5psi. Since my hand wont fit in i have a handle to a wooden spoon that i move around in the hole to try and clean it out. Seems to work.
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.