Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sudden psi drop on gauge

1. Back To Top    #1

sudden psi drop on gauge

i've just noticed a 2-3 psi drop on the pressure gauge.
    i made sure the the skimmers and pump basket were clean. no change.
    when the pump basket was out i reached in and didnt find any garbage.
    might it be the pump motor is going ?

thanks
    bob
    18,000 gal inground vinyl pool
    25K Swimpure Plus with sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: sudden psi drop on gauge

My guess is that it is not a problem. Turn the pump off and then back on and see if it returns to normal. The guages are cheap and not particularly accurate.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

When my pressure drops it usually means some debris (grass etc.) stuck at the impeller and I have to reach in and pull it out with my fingers. I'd love to find a way to keep stuff from getting past the hair strainer basket. Seems to be a poor design on the Sta-Rite pumps.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Kinguni
    When my pressure drops it usually means some debris (grass etc.) stuck at the impeller and I have to reach in and pull it out with my fingers. I'd love to find a way to keep stuff from getting past the hair strainer basket. Seems to be a poor design on the Sta-Rite pumps.
    That would be my guess as well. The other typical cause is something stuck in one of the suction pipes.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Kinguni
    I have so much **** falling off the trees, through the screened in lanai, past the skimmer basket and past the pump basked that i am about to scream. Since we have not had much rain until recently everything is getting washed into my pool. I would agree that you probably have something caught up in the impeller. As soon as it gets a bit of a clog i loose about 4-5psi. Since my hand wont fit in i have a handle to a wooden spoon that i move around in the hole to try and clean it out. Seems to work.
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.