Pool Wins and Fails Survey

Nginerd

Gold Supporter
May 15, 2016
Howell, MI
In the spirit of the recent Vinyl Liner Roundup thread (which was an awesome idea), I'd like to hear from people who have something about their pool that they either couldn't live without and/or what would you do different if you could do it all over again? My hope is that it will help people such as myself make smart choices when planning their new pool.

Nginerd, my first and ultimate advice..... get on TFP a year or so before contacting PB's! You're so smart to do your research here way ahead of the game. More and more people are doing that, and it shows in the results and their satisfaction. I wish I had found TFP before I started my pool build. But I didn't know about TFP - can't know what you haven't been told. Now, as far as satisfaction goes with my pool? Put this old lady in a sparkling clear pool and nothing else matters!!!! We LOVE our pool even with the could of, would of, should of's.

Thanks to allinspector's lead, this is a thread I think is especially good. I know I posted on one last year, but I haven't found it yet. When I do, I'll post that link, also, if it's good.
What would you do differently, if you could rebuild your pool?

Good luck with your research! I'm looking forward to what you do with your pool build in 2017!!
Suz

Here is the other thread I was looking for. It was under The Coffee Shop. It was archived, so I don't think the links within the thread will work which is a shame. Maybe there's a way to get it un-archived, but I don't know. You can still get some good info from it. I'd probably have some changes now after about 9 months of our completed pool.

What's The Most Helpful Advice You've Gotten From TFP? [Archive] - Trouble Free Pool

I agree do lots of reading here and when you get to the design stage post your potential design online and let us give specific advice. There are just too many wrong ways to do things that many pool builders never give a second thought to.

I read for nearly 8 months and posted every question, design, etc. my build thread is already 20+ pages because of these wonderful people and all of their free advice!! We just got gunite today so I don't have any shoulda, woulda's yet but I'm hoping because of these amazing people we won't have any or at least not many and hopefully all financially related so there are no "coulda's!" Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a few pool quotes a year ago when I was living in another house. This was before TFP

I happenned to go back and look at those quotes recently and saw that the only thing I focused on was the "design". Had zero knowledge of pool equipment and noticed that almost everything quoted was sub standard or inadequate.

I found my builder on TFP - the second choice PB was also from TFP. So, that says volumes I guess.

Lots of great comments and advice (no surprise there). The pool depth is one of my toughest decisions right now, but I can say that thanks to the advice in this thread I'm convinced to go to 4' in the shallow, just not sure about the deep end yet. Thanks to everyone that responded, I hope we continue to get such great advice!

The best pieces of advice I can give you.

Put some returns, jets, bubbler or whatever on the steps. Expecially if your vinyl pools steps will be outside the body of the pool. Stuff gets on the steps and is very visible in the shallow water. Some sort of teh above mentioned will help keep the dirt blown off of the steps. If the steps are outside the body of the pool, dirt, leaves and other stuff will get trapped in there and the only way to get it out is with a net and brush.

What I did do that so glad I did.
A valve is installed on every pipe going to/from the pool. If you think you ever spring a leak in a retrurn, you can just close the valve and plug the fitting in the pool and stop the leak until such time as you can get it fixed.

In the spirit of the recent Vinyl Liner Roundup thread (which was an awesome idea), I'd like to hear from people who have something about their pool that they either couldn't live without and/or what would you do different if you could do it all over again? My hope is that it will help people such as myself make smart choices when planning their new pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As already mentioned, give yourself a year after joining TFP until completion! Amazing experience here. I came late and could have learned so much more first.

Then I think it's important to consider landscape design and function first, considering how it's all going to look and function for adults, kids, pets, in all seasons. I used a 3D landscape/rendering program that allowed us to "walk through" the design, "sit" in various places, watch a video from the eyes of a visitor, etc. If you're having a safety fence, make sure it's in your drawings because it can be more dominant than you expect. If it's affordable, a landscape designer with swimming pool experience can be an asset. Lots of terrific previous tips here too!

Now that it's done? Really happy that we have a pool and we're still married :)

As I read through TFP I took tons of screenshots as I learned certain things or found useful information. Then I would sit at the computer and type a lot of them up. I have a post somewhere of things I learned on TFP. You could copy/paste that and add/modify from there if you wanted. (It's about 6 pages printed). What needsajet just said is great advice. Now that our she'll is in the ground we're trying to re-evaluate our landscaping, deck, and safety fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.