Hey from Tennessee

tenman

Gold Supporter
Jul 13, 2015
Pulaski
Hello. I joined a while back, but this is the first time I've posted anything. Our family (wife, 3 kids (18 boy, 14 girl, and 11 boy), and me) are looking forward to a fun summer at the pool with friends! I've been reading here and feel like I know enough to be dangerous. I look forward to learning more!

I relied mostly on pool store last year for water balance, but since they are out of my way a bit (and after reading about some just trying to sell products), I want to manage chemicals myself with bleach, borax, and baking soda (and muriatic acid). I never closed the pool over the winter and left on low speed and kept feeding it 3" tabs throughout winter. It stayed clear all winter and is clear currently. I kept FC around 3-5 through winter but didn't pay attention to CYA; I currently have CYA of ~80 and now know that is too high. I tested last night with FC=1.4, CC~0.2, pH=8, TA=110, CH=140, CYA=80. I decided to shock and added 2 gal 10% bleach. I also added 8oz of muriatic acid (34%) to move pH down a bit. I tested (partially) this morning and FC=7.4 and CC~0.2. I didn't check pH due to time (trying to get to work). I noticed table of minimum FC vs. CYA here, and it appears I need minimum FC of 6. I will be trying to read up more about it since don't know if I need to maintain FC at 6, if we can enter the pool with FC at 7.4, if that will damage liner to have FC at 6 or more, etc. Thanks.

Hello and welcome! :wave: The good thing is you are taking 100% control with a recommended test kit. :goodjob: Keep reading the Pool School page and other vital links you se below in my sig and you'll do fine. Great to have you with us.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and THANK YOU for being a TFP supporter. :)