SWG-Is it time to turn it on?

May 6, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
Hello to all the 'salt-lubbers" :)

Been working a week at trying to master the balancing act over in the Getting Started section .Brushed the sides this AM. Pool is crystal clear now and no sign of any of the 'milky Crud" I've been trying to defeat. Did overnite test ,added 2.9 L x 12% chlorine.

Did the FAS/DPD this AM and the result was 10 with 0 CC. Added about 2/3 of the 7.2 K stabilizer yesterday recommended by Jason. Gonna wait for a week as he suggested before testing or adding more. PH is between 7.2-7.5

Is it time to turn on my SWG and if so what level should it be set at?

Cheers

As long as your salt and CYA levels are reasonable, and nothing else is way off, you can turn on the SWG. You can treat your CYA level as acceptable, since it is the next day after adding CYA (even though you don't have confirmation yet). I didn't see you mention a salt level. Assuming your salt level is reasonable, you can turn on the SWG.

Figuring out the percentage setting takes some trial and error. I would start at 50% and then adjust as needed. Basically, you test the water in the early evening after a sunny day, if the FC level is higher than the target for your CYA level you lower the percentage, if the FC level is too low you raise the percentage. The percentage will change with the seasons and bather load and the CYA level, so keep checking and adjusting as needed at least ever couple of weeks.

oletrout,

It may also be coincidental that you're observing the unit when it's in the rest mode, or "off". Most systems will cycle on and off throughout the day. Increase it to 100 % and see if it stays on off.
It's also correct that some systems have a low/cold temperature cutoff, where the system will not activate the cell, for the protection of the control unit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have I gone backward again?In the process of shocking I was using a shock level target of 10 when my CYA was 20. Tested FC this evening and it was 8.5 so using the PCAL, I added 3.5 L of 12% to raise it to ten. SWG is set on 60% output. 50 was recommended here but mine goes from 20-40-60 % output levels.

My CYA level should be rising because of the Stabilizer I have dissolving ( I'll check it Sat).Now I'm looking at the CYA/Chlorine chart. If I use 60 as my target and assume that my CYA will end up around there, the chart says my target FC should be 4, Shock 24. So did I screw up by adding the chlorine tonight?If so where would I go from here?

Screw up? No, you can turn off the SWG for a bit and let the level drop down if you want. It didn't hurt anything.

So you added bleach out of habit? That's kinda funny actually... Live and Learn, and Learn to Laugh at yourself. :mrgreen:

Hey oletrout,

As Ann said, no problem :wink:

You are done shocking and are in the maintenance mode with your pool. :-D

As you said, you want to maintain around 4ppm FC (and never below 3). You are in the process of tweaking your SWG settings to accomplish this.

During the tweaking stage, if your FC should drop below 3, add some LC and tweak some more :mrgreen:

Good Morning :-D Hope all my U.S friends have a very pleasant Memorial Day Weekend. Although I'm Canadian, I support not only Canada's troops but all troops that fight the war on terrorism. This is dedicated to the United States Armed Forces. God Bless you all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itbBo6F3 ... annel_page

Now to the task at hand.Here are my latest #'s. Pool temp is 62. SWG is OFF
FC-12
CC-0
PH-7.5
TA-70
CH-70
CYA-60

I added 3/4 of the recommended granular stabilizer in the panty hose hanging over the return line last Sat and the bal on Wed. All dissolved fairly quickly. Pump is running 8 hr a day. I worked the CYA/CL Chart thinking the CYA should be a bit higher and to bring it to 70 it would take another 1.5 stabilizer. Do I do it or leave it for now?

CH 70. Cannot see any reference to that level for a painted concrete pool so unsure about what to do -if anything??

What to do about the high CL level? Just let it burn off??

Cheers

oletrout said:
Good Morning :-D Hope all my U.S friends have a very pleasant Memorial Day Weekend. Although I'm Canadian, I support not only Canada's troops but all troops that fight the war on terrorism. This is dedicated to the United States Armed Forces. God Bless you all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itbBo6F3 ... annel_page

Now to the task at hand.Here are my latest #'s. Pool temp is 62. SWG is OFF
FC-12
CC-0
PH-7.5
TA-70
CH-70
CYA-60

I added 3/4 of the recommended granular stabilizer in the panty hose hanging over the return line last Sat and the bal on Wed. All dissolved fairly quickly. Pump is running 8 hr a day. I worked the CYA/CL Chart thinking the CYA should be a bit higher and to bring it to 70 it would take another 1.5 stabilizer. Do I do it or leave it for now?
In you other thread, Jason recommended you raise it up to 80. So, yes, I'd work on that now. Also, as you mentioned w/the Chlorine/CYA Chart for SWGs, when you increase CYA for 80, your new chlorine should be 4 to 6 (& not below 4) :wink:

CH 70. Cannot see any reference to that level for a painted concrete pool so unsure about what to do -if anything??
For painted pools, we use the recommended levels for vinyl, so your level should be fine.

What to do about the high CL level? Just let it burn off?? Yep.

Have a great day & thanks for the youtube :salut:

Cheers

Please tell me if I'm still on the path to a TFP in terms of understanding how to decipher my #'s

Current #'s

FC-9
TA-60
PH-7-5
CYA-70
Salt-3200

My CYA is 70,and Jason suggest 80.The PC says to add nothing.?? How do I get it to 80

Based on the CYA/CL chart using my current reading of 70 my target should be min 3 FC and target 5 FC with shock 28. Does that mean if my FC drops to below 5 I should shock? And if I am reading right so far it would mean I would add 27 L ???

My TA is currently 60, and the goal is 90 the calculator says to add 7.6 K of baking Soda. Sound right???

I'm assuming I would leave the SWG off until the FC drops a bit down from the current level of 9 ??

Jasons summary for SWG = Borates 50 ppm (optional but HIGHLY recommended)

Should I get started on that?

Cheers

To use my Pool Calculator, you need to know what your "Target" number is, what level you are aiming for, and enter it in the Target column. Don't assume that the numbers that happen to already be in there mean anything.

If the water is clear and FC is above zero, there isn't normally any reason to shock the pool.

With a SWG, you want to aim for a FC level of 3 or higher. Your current FC level is too high, so turn down the percentage on your SWG.

The recommended TA range with a SWG is 60 to 80. TA tends to drift down, so when you get to 60, it is time to raise TA to 80.

Your CYA is fine at 70, but it will tend to fall over the course of the summer, so best to raise it to 80. Enter 80 in the Target column, 70 in the Now column, and make sure you pool volume is entered correctly at the top, and it will tell you how much CYA to add.

I would not get involved with borates until you have more experience with your pool. You still have lots of basic things to master. Get the basics all working smoothly and then work on borates.

Thanks Jason.

To use my Pool Calculator, you need to know what your "Target" number is, what level you are aiming for, and enter it in the Target column. Don't assume that the numbers that happen to already be in there mean anything.

I thought i had that right after reading your article Water Balance For SWG where in your summary you state 60-90. I used 90 as Target so that's why I wrote "My TA is currently 60, and the goal is 90 the calculator says to add 7.6 K of baking Soda?
Using TA 80 as target as you say and I'm currently at 60 it would mean 5.1 K .Is that correct?? I also meant to ask if anyone knows how many boxes of Arm and Hammer that would be?

With a SWG, you want to aim for a FC level of 3 or higher. Your current FC level is too high, so turn down the percentage on your SWG

My FC has been high for a couple of days and I am waiting for it to come down .Now it's at 9, down from 12.5 and my SWG is off.

So this is wrong "Does that mean if my FC drops to below 5 I should shock?" Guess I was looking at this on the CYA/CL Chart:
SWG Pools CYA - 70 Minimum FC 3 Target FC 5 Shock FC 28

If I got it right then I don't use the CYA chart or that 28 shock number unless there is a problem like cloudy water etc. but rather the PC, and if my FC drops, hypothetically speaking, to lets say 3, I would use 5 as the target which would require 2.3 L ??

Where does this fit in the equation?-- in the brown section to the left of Calculate :Goal: 6 to 11
Does it mean I should aim to keep the level within that range rather than let it fall from it's current level of 9 to below 5 ?

Cheers

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.