Pool Pump and Warranty

Hi Everyone

We had a new pool built just under 2 years ago and have had it maintained until now by the company who built it.

Unfortunately, last week the pump failed but when we returned it back to the manufacturer for replacement under the 2 year warranty they informed us that the damaged caused voided the warranty.

It looks like the water has been leaking from the bottom of the pump and corroded the metal (cast aluminium?) case. Sections of the case are completely missing, please see attached photo.

Could anyone advise me if this is even possible to happen in such a short space of time even if the pool has been badly maintained or was an old pump installed.

Thank you Chris

Attachments

• Pool Pump Damage.jpg
    Pool Pump Damage.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 28
Welcome to TFP :)

I looks like the pump had a leak for a very long time, yes, with water dripping like that it can ruin a pump within a year or 2.. what is your salt level for your pool? if the pool company has maintained it have them replace it...

I hope this helps :)

It looks like the seal failed which is part of the pump. So I would argue it should be covered under warranty.

Thank you all for your comments, they are greatly appreciated.

Here's a link to the manual I found on the internet for the SMC20. The drawings in the manual seem to match, so I'm reasonable sure that it's the right one.

http://welldana.magimage1.navipartner.dk/media/catalog/product/attachments/Manualer/Pools/SMC20_SMC30_MANU_GB_original.pdf

It states that the salt level should be "5-6 kg/m3" which I interpreted to be 5000-6000 ppm.

The person who supplied the pump to the pool builder/maintainer said that the damage was caused by acid. I did notice that the ph regulator often had a reading 6.4 or 6.8, is having the ph at this level for the past 2 years likely to have caused this damage?

We have now given the pool maintenance man the boot and bought a new pump.

Going forward should I be worried that more of the pool equipment will be damaged like the pump and which bits should I check?