New Saltwater System

Jun 1, 2016
Canada
Hello all, I have an Intex 12x30 metal frame pool. I recently picked up a saltwater system on clearance so decided to go the saltwater route this year, after using chlorine years prior.
I filled my pool and dumped a 20kg bag of salt and let it run for 24 hours before turning on the SWS, as the instructions stated. Now I'm reading that you should use chlorine/bleach in the first 24 hours before turning on the SWS......well I didn't do that!
The SWS ran for the first time this evening (set to run for 1 hour) and the pump is still running. I haven't added any CYA to it yet as I'm having issues finding a store that carries it around here. I should be able to pick some up tomorrow though.
What should I do at this point? Any advice for this saltwater system newbie would be much appreciated!

Welcome to TFP :)

Grab a bottle of bleach from your laundry room and pour half in

If you can not find CYA 100% you can use dichlor instead, use poolmath to find out how much to use per day http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html down at the bottom you can see how many oz will add CYA

Try running your SWG for 8 hours and test free chlorine to see where you are at and adjust from there :)

Let us know if you have any other questions :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.