Slow down vinyl liner fading - tips/tricks.

May 29, 2016
Madison, WI
Does anyone have tips on this? Using only premixed chemicals seems like a good idea versus ever putting any powder directly into the pool water. Are there any products out there specifically designed to take it easy on vinyl?

When I inherited our pool two years ago I didn't think anything of this but now I'm paying for a liner replacement so I'm hoping to possibly prevent it from turning bone white like the one I just took out.

A a general rule TFP advises using only chlorine in liquid form or generated by a SWG in our pools. We buffer this with CYA. It works well for thousands of pool owners.

We don't use powers or other premixed systems because they are generally full of stuff you don't need and result in more difficult to balance pools.

Stick around and read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

It works and your liner will fade more slowly.

What have you been using that you think made the liner fade? How have you been applying it. Tell us what you are doing and we may be able help. Of course, the quality of the ink on the liner has a major influence on the longevity, but applying chemistry incorrectly can have a big influence (as you are asking).

Thanks gwegan and duraleigh.

@duraleigh - I only had about 1.5 seasons with this pool and liner before the liner replacement (scheduled for today!) but I'll be honest I was kind of just doing a hodge podge partly based on what was on sale at Menard's. Usually a Utikem product. Some chlorine pucks in a floating dispenser, some powdered shock once in a while, some liquid chlorine once in a while, some liquid clarifier, and usually some powdered form of the PH adjusting chemicals. I was testing my water regularly and trying to apply the right chemicals as needed.

I am going to check out the guide that gwegan linked to as I was not really planning things out in a very methodical way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.