Air Issues on New Pad System - Pcs attached

reindeerboy

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2008
Jamestown, ND
I have a small question. I have a complete new pad. I must still have air comming in from somewhere but its really minor. Most likely the new pool super pump gasket. I lubed that up with magic lube and it still shoots some air in the pool. The multiport is also new. Do I need to lube the spider gasket in the multiport and then lube the oring where the bolts are? I would not think i would have to since this is a new system?

My next option would be to have the pool place come back sometime this summer and pressure test it out as they are the ones that helped install everything. I learned a huge amount when we took the guts from my sand filter and found some brokern parts. We put all new inside of it except for the lower tube and put new sand and pea gravel in this succer.

Maybe I am just being a bit anal and when the water warms up, maybe the seals will expand enough to seal themselves up?

What are your thoughts guys? Thanks

Attachments

• Pool time 003.jpg
    Pool time 003.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 442
Air usually enters the plumbing on the suction side of the pump so I would check the pump lid, suction union and the two suction valves.

OK, I went out and lubed the heck out of the pump lid seal. It looks a bit stretched out and I think I may order a new one. Not sure why as this whole pump is new. Plan to talk to the pool dude as they supplied this for me and should cover the cost of getting a new seal for me. I did not check the union so once I turn the pump off, I will tighten the union some and the screws to the new jandy valves. They are brand new as well.

Should I put magic lube on the covers of the jandy valves? Do I need to take the cover off and try that?

I attached a couple pics as well. Like I said, the bubbles are really minor and may seal up as the water warms up. 49 degrees as of this morning. Pretty darn cold.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Pool time 042.jpg
    Pool time 042.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 411
  • Pool time 043.jpg
    Pool time 043.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 412
One way to check the source of a leak is to use a hose on each item. If the item leaks air, it will stop when the water covers the leak (i.e. start sucking water). A wet towel will sometimes work as well. Watch the pump basket and the air bubbles should go away once you find the right spot. Be patient, it takes time before the all the air is removed.

Thanks for the info mas. I plan to give it some time. The pool dudes actually said the same thing. They said since everything is so new, that sometimes the seals and all the new fittings just take a bit of time to work together. Its not a huge amount of air and it finally warmed up some today and that did help reduce some of the air.

I sure appreciate your comments and suggestions. I will try the damp towel next weekend if it doesnt start to seal up by then. Figured I would give it a week.

I am very happy with the results of everything. Pool got clean in 30 hours as the pics above show.

One last question. Can I vacuum the pool on filter mode if it is just light dirt in the pool? Do I leave both the skimmer and main drain valves on when I do that or do like I do when its on waste and just have the skimmer valve on? I can never remember.

Thanks a bunch! :)

Hi Chad! :wave:

Glad you're ~ mostly happy with the changes :)

Thanks for the pics! I see some Teflon tape hanging out of the male adapter on the intake port of the pump :( - that's not right! - I'd start the 'dribble water on the connections test' there. Other likely suspects are the plug under the intake port, the lid gasket (which you've addressed) and the union on the intake line.

While the air leak is minor, it will still play on the back of your mind and keep you from doing the most important thing - ENJOYING the pool!

I hope you get this settled soon, if you need any help from me on this, all you have to do is ask 8)

Thanks Ted. That white stuff is some caulk. Just stuck to the pump housing is all. Not a problem there.

I did go and tighten with a filter wrench all the unions. That did help some now as well. I will continue to try the dribble test and the wet towel on the fittings over the next week.

I still think its in my pump basket lid. I just shut the darn thing off and it squirted some water out of the sides so I know it may be a falty seal. My plan is to call the pool place as this thing is under warranty and see if they can order & ship me a new pump basket seal. I think I will start with that problem first and work my way down the line.

That will take some time, but its worth trying.

I wont let that stop me from enjoying this pool. A little air never hurt anyone and in time, I hope to solve it. If not, then I will involve the pool dudes some more and do a pressure test of the system. Maybe upon winterizing the pool this year as they have to travel 100 miles to do anything with me. This summer, I will try it on my own and with TFP's help of course.

Thanks for the support Ted! Take care buddy!

Chad, you're probably right about the pump lid gasket (SP 1600 - S). Super Pumps DON'T squirt when turned off! Check the gasket for debris :wink:

Although it's minor, the pump is brand new and shouldn't be doing this :hammer:

I hope you get this fixed soon so you can start relaxing by the pool :party:

Thanks Ted. Yea, I will plan to pull out the seal and check that the place where the seal sits in is clean and has no obstructions. Then I will relube the seal and replace it.

I plan to try that first tomorrow night. I will also work in getting a new seal just to be prepared and then we will take it from there.

I will keep everyone informed with how it went.

Oh yea, Not a big deal but thought I would post my test results today. Pulled out the TF100 today and took a full set.

FC 1.5 TA 80 CH 200
CC 0.5 PH 7.5
TC 2.0 CYA 30

Thanks again! Have a good evening. :sleep:

Update: I took the pump lid off and did find some what looks like old glue and Crud under the old gasket. I cleaned that up, but the gasket is definitely streched to the point that I did order some and should have it by Tuesday. So until that arrives, I am just looking at the bubbles all Piszed off. :rant: But after about a dozen beers today, I am feeling pretty darn good.

Pool looks awesome. Do have a good story to share from the pool place. Thought I would take a sample in on Saturday. The girl up at the counter asked me the usual except for this one and I quote: " Is your pool bromine?" :hammer:

OK, I asked her are you new here. Funny thing, she said yep. Could not stop laughing because I was mostly surprised by her honesty. :lol:

Anyway, the numbers they gave me were actually spot on except for the chlorine. That will never be on as due to time to take it there ect. At least it confirms that my test readings with my awesome TF100 kit are right on. The only thing I didnt like was them trying to convince me that 90 on my TA was way too low. My TA always creeps up as the season moves on so I know that this reading was just fine. They thought otherwise, plus I had to bicker with them about a charge on my bill that was never performed. Pressure test the lines. I told the manager, OK if you did that then why am I still getting air issues? I said that if you had done it, then this should not be an issue. :whip:

Well granted to say, the Service Manager has to call me yet, but I am pretty sure they are gonna refund the $150 they inadvertantly charged me.

Funny stuff. Will keep you all informed once I get my new lid seal in place. Suppose to rain tomorrow and considering we already are still having flooding issues, I hope that our city sewer lines hold up? :grrrr:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: Just got the pool gaskets today. First I had to clean the pool as we had a storm come through and that was an interesting worm mess. We have nightcrawlers that come into the pool everytime it rains. :grrrr:

Soooo, I then got to work on the new seal. Lubbed it up, and put it into place. Then I reprimed everything and gave it an hour to work out the air issues. Just went to check it and wow, that made a difference. There still are a few minor bubbles, but maybe now with the warmer weather moving in, it will start to seal itself up a bit.

I still am arguing with the pool dudes on the charge for the air test that I got charged for and it was not performed, but I think that they will eventually see it my way and refund it back to me.

FINAL QUESTION: I have to change the face plates in the return jets in the pool. Now when I take the 4 screws out and take off the old plate, making sure the gasket stays into place and before I put the screws back in, Do you suggest that I lube the screws up with Magic Lube first? Or I do have some silcone caulk for underwater work that I could put on the head of the screw, or do I do nothing and just screw them back into place?

What do you guys recommend! Thanks a bunch for all your help!

Chad, don't worry about lubing the screws :) You can even do it with the system on, as long as the screw holes match up with where the liner was originally punctured 8) (It's the screw holes that really matter :pirat: )

If this gives you any trouble, let me know and we'll get it solved :-D

Ted

Ted,

Decided to hold off on the plates till we close it in the fall. Cracks are so tiny you dont even notice them and it is not leaking any water. Decided to do it when we winterize the pool. Easier to see through the water so that the holes line up properly when putting the screws back in. I tried looking through the water and its just a royal pain. Decided to just hold off since there is nothing wrong.

Good news, finally am swimming in the pool. Painted the pool patio this past weekend with some valspar nonskid paint. Wow that stuff looks great. Hopefully it holds up to the elements in ND. :party:

Maybe will try to get some pics off on a sunny day. Raining here all week according to the weather dudes.

Planning a pool part for the office the end of June. Weather is forecasting the mid 80s! :goodjob:

Later and by the way, the air bubbles are gone. Got that sucker figured out now! :cheers:

Thanks Ted. I totall agree man. Had a blast in it tonight. 20 minn to clean it and then was drinking a nice cold one on the flotation device. :cheers:

Hope to post some pics of what the backyard improvements have done most likely this weekend.

Take care Ted! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.