Too much bleach!

I just started SLAMing our pool today. It is almost 26,000 gal and is gunite. It previously had a SWG but we just got rid of it when it was going to cost us $300 to replace the cell our dog chewed up. Anyway, we emptied it, power washed it, and filled it back up in October and then did nothing to it. Didn't add a chemical or anything because it turned out our pump motor was also frozen and we didn't have the money at the time to fix it. Needless to say it had tadpoles, huge bullfrogs, and a lot of bugs and gunk in it. We vacuumed it up and I have read all about how to SLAM the pool. My husband is just trusting me on it. Well, I asked him to buy 6 more gallons of bleach on his way home from work just to have on hand in case I needed it for the rest of the process. I was putting our children to bed when he got home and he thought he would be helpful and added all 6 gallons of bleach ?.... I've already added 6.5 gallons today over the course of the day. Whatever is done is done, but can anyone tell me what steps I need to take now? Just keep testing and watching the levels?

Welcome! :wave:

Relax. Go have some wine. High FC won't bleach out gunite.

You might want to step down to a 5 ml sample and have each drop count as 1 FC tomorrow when you test first thing. Saves reagents. It's not precise enough for all the time, but this is a special case.

I am ashamed to admit I do not have a Trouble Free Pool approved test kit yet. I was just starting slow and using the test strips I had on hand until the one I ordered came in which will be a K-2006 FAS-DPD. I didn't even try to get a reading after that bleach dump ��. The water was already clearing up after today. Maybe this one will just kill those last few bugs that were still surviving, ha! Thanks so muchforthe quick responses! I guess this may tide me over until the kit comes in��

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.