Cloudy water - misused stabilizer granules?

Dec 28, 2014
Edmond, OK
Hello all!

TFP was a big help to me when I did my SLAM last year but, now I have a different question. I did a Drain & Refill to open the pool this season (for a couple different reasons) and my water readings were like so:

FC 4
ph 7.2
CYA 0
CH 300
TA - 180 - 350 (not sure I am reading it correctly when I add a drop it swirls read and then turns back to green!?!)

So I knew I needed to add Stabilizer to not lose chlorine drastically during the sunny parts of the day. This weekend I added 3 lbs of hth granule Stabilizer through a sock in my skimmer - I also added a pound granules to my other skimmer (very slowly). Its been a couple days and my sock has still not completely dissolved but the water is very murky or cloudy. I can see the bottom of the shallow end but not the main drain in the deep end. I am thinking I did not follow the steps closely and cut a corner or skipped a step. I read in one place that when adding stabilizer you should circulate not filter the filter - I did not do this. I watched one video where it said you can add the granules directly to a skimmer as long as you do it slowy and confirm that it is not just pooling at the bottom of the basket. Based on everything I read here I probably should not have done that.

Here are my readings from TF-100 tonight:

FC 3.5
ph 7.8
CC .5
CH 300
TA - 180-350 (swirling issue)
CYA 20

So do you think the cloudiness has anything to do with the Stabilizer? We also swam quite a bit this weekend with the holiday could be something else...???

Should I SLAM or is it something different?

Thank you for your help!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.