New to site, new pool onwer, introduction too...

May 17, 2009
NC
Good morning everyone.

I'm new to this site and the world of swimming pool mainenance and ownership

I recently purchase a 31 YO house with a 16x36 in ground pool. The house was vacant for two years, during which the (black) tarpaulin covered pool became a home to critters and algae that normally live in a pond, including about twenty five frogs and one snapping turtle. Just before the previous owner vacated the house, a new liner and pump was installed in the pool, then it sat for two years until I bought it

This is my first pool, so I am learning as I go. This is what I have accomplished in one week.

I removed the cover, skimmed the floating trash, removed the frogs and turtle and got the pump/filter working. The SP-710 "vari-flo" valve needed a gasket, so that slowed me down for a whole day. After replacing the valve gasket everything seems to be working properly so I focused of cleaning the water all week (Mon thru Fri), by filtering and backwashing the filter several times a day. I also added five pounds of swimming pool water shocker from Wal-Mart. Friday I replaced the sand in the Hayward S-200 Hi Rate Sand Filter. The old sand was crusted and was only about half full. Yesterday, Saturday I drained about 1-2 feet by selecting waste on the valve, and added another five pounds of water shocker. With water about knee high in the shallow end of the pool I scrubbed it with a brush. I scrubbed the vertical walls all the way around the entire pool. With the brush I am using I can reach down to the part where the vertical walls start to angle in toward the deep end of the pool. I am able to scrub some of the angled part into the deep section also. Today, the pool walls and the shallow end are freshly scrubbed and look nice. The water in the shallow end looks clear but its only about a foot deep, the water in the deep end looks greenish. I cannot see the bottom yet, I can almost make out the vacuum head on the bottom, so the deep end is not clear yet. I am still getting an occasional leave in the strainer, but I think I have most of the big chunks removed, and need to start throwing serious chemicals at it. I am going to take a sample to my local Leslie’s pool store and see what they tell me it needs. I am guessing they are going to sell me the chemicals that will start clearing up the water in the deep end. I’ll post more after I get back.

I plan on converting to a salt water chlorine generator system as soon as recommended, so I am all ears. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!

Ax

You should fill the pool up and circulate and filtrate the water! :whip: Why are you keeping it so shallow?

If you are adding chemicals, the water should be able to circulate. :wink: If not, the chemicals could ruin the liner from sitting at the bottom.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Any pics?

Oh and have you seen our Pool School? You should think about how BBB could be so easy on your pool and your wallet! Hope you don't buy anything from the Pool Store! :shock: You could get bleach, borax and baking soda much cheaper at Wally World!

Welcome to TFP!

To proceed, you really need to know your current chemical levels. The pool store will do a water test for you, but in the long run it is much better to have your own top quality test kit. See Test Kits Compared for a list of the test kits we recommend.

The most effective way to kill off all of the algae is to raise your FC level, and keep it high by testing and adding more chlorine as needed. If you add chlorine and then wait a couple of days and the chlorine fails to kill off all of the algae, the algae will just grow back and all of the chlorine you used will be wasted.

You should read Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparking Oasis for lots of detailed information.

I pumped the pool shallow while pumping waste water (debris) with the valve in the waste position, plus i have been backwashing a lot. I have the vacuum head attached to the skimmer inlet with a long hose (stuff that came with the pool). It got to the point that I was thinking less water to find the debris in, so I let it get shallow on purpose. After I got the pool shallow, I put the valve back to the filter position with the same hose and vacuum head attached. I added the water shock, with the water recirculating through the filter, while I was brushing the walls, It was an all day deal, while the pump and filter were running contiuously

Heres my water test, the Leslie's pool store guy said to keep filtering it untill the green goes away, and that the chlorine and filter would remove the green (algae).

FAC 5+
PH 7.4
TA 120
Calcium Hardness 100
CYA 20

I am running two hoses, filling the pool, plus its raining, I guess I'm going to need more shock tomorrow

I'm going to buy the good water tester at Leslie's tomorrow, and follow the "Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparking Oasis" thread directions, Thanks for the help everyone!

I'll post up some pics later in the week, my wifes out of town, and she has the camera

Ax

Why don't you buy a very sleak TF100 from duraleigh? It's really the best kit on the market and so worth the price. You'll even be able to measure ppm of up to 50!

What kind of test kit are you getting from Leslies?

people get confused often about the tester at leslie's. most stores carry the k-2005 equivalent, but you need the k-2006 equivalent.

yes:
http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/ ... 00/I/81329

no:
http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/ ... 00/I/81330

make sure you compare part numbers if they tell you they "have the one you want". I would print out the website page for the one you want in case they have it in stock, because my store sold it for $75, but online it's $64. they'll match the price if you show them.

Ax, welcome to TFP!!

You are doing yourself and your wallet the best thing by coming here to learn how to properly care for your pool :goodjob:

You've received great advice so far! As you may have noticed, we'll help you and give you the 'truth' about what's going on and not charge you $.01 :wink:

You said you added a few pounds of shock to the pool - can you tell us what type of chlorine it is - I'm guessing either calcium hypochlorite or di-chlor - you may want to save a few $ and just use regular unscented laundry bleach to shock the pool 8) You can use Jason's pool calculator (linked in my sig) to find out how much of each chem to add to your pool.

I'll also suggest to read through Pool School (again, linked in my sig) a couple of times to get an excellent overview of what you need to do to maintain your pool :)

"Why don't you buy a very sleak TF100 from duraleigh?"

How can I order a TF 100?

I have tried the Tftestkits.com link with no luck, all it does is link to a million kits on the WWW

Does anyone have a link that works? or a phone number?

I put in product called Aqua Chem Shock-Xtra or "di-chlor" if you read the active ingredients

I have learned more about pools today, reading this web site

BBB here I come, now all I have to do is figure out how to order a TF 100 test kit.

Thanks everyone!!!

Axhammer said:

How can I order a TF 100?

I have tried the Tftestkits.com link with no luck, all it does is link to a million kits on the WWW

Does anyone have a link that works? or a phone number?

I put in product called Aqua Chem Shock-Xtra or "di-chlor" if you read the active ingredients

I have learned more about pools today, reading this web site

BBB here I come, now all I have to do is figure out how to order a TF 100 test kit.

Thanks everyone!!!

The link in Ted's sig is wrong it's now .net instead of .com. There is also a link to the site on our Home page.

Dichlor is fine since your CYA is low, it will raise your CYA. Use the Pool Calc - "effects on adding chemicals" section to determine how much each pack will raise your FC and CYA by.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the link, it takes me to the site, but I cannot enter my CC info when trying to checkout, Dang computers...

Anyone have a phone number I can call tomorrow? I'm done for tonight

again, Thanks for the help everyone!

Ax...welcome to TFP...the k2006 is similar to the TF100...we seem to like the TF100 more because it comes with more reagent and also the owner frequents the forum and can give you advice with testing questions.

If you have read through pool school, you probably know by now that "shock" is something you do to your pool water and not add. We add various forms of chlorine such as bleach (6% unstabilized), Liquid Shock (unstabilized chlorine 10% or 12.5%...sames as bleach just higher concentration), powdered shock (cal-hypo or dichlor)....pool stores all call it shock, but it's just various form of chlorine, hence why we all believe in the BBB method and get our pool chems at the laundry aisle at wally world. I personally would have never figuredthat PH+ = Arm & Hammer Washing soda, but we live and learn.

Having great water is really about understanding pool water chemical requirements and then spending 5 mins a day to test your water and maintain those levels. This is really key, regardless of whether you use a SWG, Bleach or tablets (Tablets work and are fine, but eventually you will need to replace water to keep CYA levels manageable) Prior to our current pool and TFP, I just dumped insane amounts of chems in my water and wondered why I had problems...net I needed a good test kit (pool store tend to be inconsistent too!) and consistent maintenance.

as mentioned above the TF100 can be ordered at Tftestkits.NET and duraleigh ships 'emm out within 24hrs...otherwise...get the taylor k2006 if you are in a hurry.

Sean B...can hook you up with a deal on SWG and give a recommendation for your specific needs.

Fire away with Q's all we'll be happy to assist.

Still trying to get the kit ordered, I guess this outfit does not use a telephone for ordering? And there website will not take my CC info? I guess if it was easy, everyone would have one...

Hi guys :wave:

The link in my sig works for me - it's not the homepage, but rather the order page, with the 'in your basket" on the top left margin- site directory at the top of the page and proudly displays THE kit itself prominently 8)

I don't want to bog down AX's post with this but, as far as I can tell, my link is good and viable

url=http://www.tftestkits.net/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=2]TF Testkits[/url - this is how it reads with the end "[]" taken off

It works now, because I changed it after the original post saying it didn't work was posted. :) JasonLion

{EDIT - THANK YOU Jason :bowdown: - I should know by now that I can't use this d*mned computer :hammer: :lol: }

Got my tester on order today. I put three bottles of bleach in yesterday, this morning the pool was clear and bright. When I backwashed this morning a bunch of red and rusty colored waste water came out for a little while, the cleared up. I have been adding water too, so I think I'm on my way to a usable swimming pool by the weekend, hopefully the weather heats up!

Thanks everyone, I've learned a lot on this site!

Axhammer said:
We're all in a constant state of learning... That's the neat thing.

CONGRATULATIONS that you can see the bottom. That's a success! :goodjob:

I get a little concerned about things with the name 'extra'...
Did the "Aqua Chem Shock-Xtra" come from WallyWorld and have an orange bag, called "Aqua Chem Shock-Xtra Blue?

Usually things that have blue in the name contain some copper, which you don't want in your water.

Bleach, plain and simple.

You are going to need some CYA, sold in the big box store as "Stabilizer" or "Conditioner". Just look on the label and it'll say "100% CYA" (abbreviation). Check Jason's Pool Calculator for the amount... It helps the chlorine to not be used up by the sun.

Axhammer said:
I recieved my kit today, Thanks Duraleigh contracting for super quick shipment. I have to mow the lawn, then I will test my pool water, and post the results!

Thanks TFP folks!
:shock: We can't wait! :lol: :lol:

p.s. are you going to wear a white lab coat and wait for the drum roll like some of us? :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.