Pump pressure

Any valves turned to limit how water is returning to the pool? When I have my Polaris on a return my pressure reads higher than when nothing is in the return.

Just another check-when you turn your pump off the guage goes down to zero....right? That will rule out a defective guage.

Its unfortunate you changed the sand, many times all it needs is a good deep cleaning.

BarbiAnn - Pressure of 20 is not a problem. Do you still have good flow out of your returns back into the pool? Are you seeing any downside with the pressure? What is driving your concern to lower it? Every pool is different, mine runs at twenty pretty consistently. Please fill out your signature with all your pool's details including size of pool and pump. That info will help everyone's outlook on your situation.

Lynzizzle - my post was to BarbiAnn the OP (original poster). If you are having concerns please start your own thread rather than hijack another's ;). It's no problem, we just want to make sure that BarbiAnn gets the help she's requesting. As for your setup, if your clean pressure is 15 then you should be backwashing your filter when your pressure climbs to 19 psi. That is the recommended 25% increase over clean pressure. When your filter gets too dirty, the water simply can not make it through your filter effectively and your pressure maxes out around that 25 psi.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions we can start a new thread or a moderator can split this one off. Good luck!

When the pressure is at 20 my return flow is very weak, once I back wash the pressure goes down and return flow back into pool is good for about 15 mins then pressure rises again. I h as very a 21st pool with a crystal flo 2 filter, I think the pump is the star- rite. Circulate works fine. Thanks for any help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Barbi - What is your clean pressure right after you backwash? It is unusual for a sand filter pressure to rise that fast again, even if the pool is really cloudy. Are you backwashing long enough? Are you rinsing for at least 30 seconds after backwashing before returning to filtering? You should backwash once your clean pressure raises 25%, which is likely mush less than 20 psi since your flow falls dramatically there.

Lynn - I know you weren't and definitely no problem at all. I hope I didn't come across as rude :)

I would target backwash then at a pressure no higher than 18psi then. If you start to see diminishing returns at pressures lower than that then I would lean to 10 as starting pressure and backwash at 10. Rinsing is a critical step to help settle the sand after backwashing. It may help distribute the sand evenly giving you more surface area to filter with lengthening the time between backwashes.

If you are feeling up to it, deep cleaning your sand may help a lot. It's pretty easy provided you can get your multiport valve off. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwib_brNv4fNAhVGQyYKHZnFDlYQFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.troublefreepool.com%2Fthreads%2F73192-Deep-Cleaning-a-Sand-Filter&usg=AFQjCNHTgwe6_ggycBORjVBhFfmsfVbT_w

If flow is good right after backwashing and then it decreases after a short period of time, most likely you are filtering out something and usually it is algae. Post a full set of test results and also perform a OCLT (see pool school).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.