Stain Around The Pool?

MAndrews1

May 3, 2016
Toledo, OH
Hello there. I have a light brown stains that is surrounding my pool and present on the floor in the shallow end. I have tried brushing but it just won't come off. I have added some pictures in. Also I am still waiting for my K-2006 test kit to arrive. Should be here on Thursday or Friday. Pool store said I just needed to add Calcium. I was at 190.

Thanks!

908faf300720541ffcfc746bad440ca5.jpg

b9b6e509748471748551485c864cbdd0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Do you have a heater?

Some ideas:

1. Rub some crushed Vitamin C in a sock over the stain. If it does something after 5 minutes, its a metal, most likely Iron. If that doesn't work. Go down. If it does work search Ascorbic acid treatment on here.

2. Hold a trichlor puck against it for five minutes. If it works then its organic. That can be solved with proper chemistry. Post your numbers. We can help.

3. Is it rough? it might be calcium build up. Again chemistry solution.

4. None of the above working. Buy Jack's Magic stain ID kit.

Do you have a heater?

Some ideas:

1. Rub some crushed aspirin in a sock over the stain. If it does something after 5 minutes, its a metal, most likely Iron. If that doesn't work. Go down. If it does work search acetylsalicylic acid treatment on here.

2. Hold a trichlor puck against it for five minutes. If it works then its organic. That can be solved with proper chemistry. Post your numbers. We can help.

3. Is it rough? it might be calcium build up. Again chemistry solution.

4. None of the above working. Buy Jack's Magic stain ID kit.
Thanks for the tips. No heater I took it out last year. It was not operating but water was passing through it. I will start with the aspirin. Thanks

I went ahead and bought the Magic Stain Kit. I believe I have a buildup of copper. Solution #2 bag seemed to lift the strain. Does the use of algaecide result in copper stains? I also used my new k-2006 kit tonight and have the following results.

FC: 1.0
CC: 11.8
pH: 7.1
TA: 60
CH: 220
CYA: was coming up less than 30

Yes, the three most common sources of copper stains are
Copper based algaecides
Copper based mineral sanitizer systems
Copper heat exchangers eroded by low PH water, below 7.2, over time

Raise your PH up to 7.5 or so with borax or aeration
Retest the FC/CC
How have you been chlorinating the pool? No pucks, tabs or dichlor shock? Then your CYA could be low.

More on stains here, Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

You can clear metal stains following this, Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

Add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you, more here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Yes, the three most common sources of copper stains are

How have you been chlorinating the pool? No pucks, tabs or didhlor shock? Then your CYA could be low.

Add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you, more here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

I used some Power Plus shock a week or so ago when I took the cover off. About 10lbs. Now I have the chlorinator set on low with the pucks loaded inside. Thanks for the tip on the signature. I have added that in.

I tested the water again tonight with and got the following:
FC 4.0
CC 6.5
pH 7.9
TA 60
CH 240
CYA less than 30

I took a couple pics while in the water of the stain. I tried both the vitamin c and puck tests to remove the stain and nothing happened.

94c961572d1a52e73e84527644ef2e5f.jpg

72d5e75fb92a249120a69ac7663e962d.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.