Draining water from pool with spigot (catridge filter - no waste line)

May 31, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Hello everyone, first time posting. I've got a Jandy cartridge filter and want to periodically drain water from my pool to get fresh water circulating. It's too hot in Arizona to do a complete drain without risking damaging the pool. If I'm going to use the spigot are there any watch outs to be mindful of? I'm assuming I always want to do with the pump off - I've also got an automatic refill and wanted to make sure this wouldn't potentially damage that. Thanks for any insight!

Welcome! :wave:

More than a few people have installed a pipe nipple and a valve and a backwash hose to the cartridge filter drain for just the same purpose. And they empty it with the pump.

You'll need to shut off the autofill while you're emptying, and then turn it on again when you;re done. Otherwise you'll be emptying some of the water you just added.

You must have an above-ground pool if you can drain without using the pump. If so, why not just siphon? A pool vacuum hose will flow a tremendous amount of water. Connect it to the vacuum to keep it on the bottom and it will be equal to punching a 1½" hole at the bottom edge of your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.