Where to start for new year

cheri

May 26, 2015
Henderson
Hello,

I'm starting up my pool for this summer. I had it covered and other than some debris, the green and I can't see more than a foot into it. I gathered the following numbers:

FC - 0
PH - 8.2
TA - 130
CYA - looks like zero.

My question is, should I begin by trying to raise the CYA with stabilizers or do I start by adding chlorine? It is 4600 gallons, 1.5 HP pump and is about 2 years old.

Thanks,
Cheri

Well, we know you'll need to SLAM. That's automatic. But some things I would like for you to do first:
1 - Confirm your location (State) unde your username. I lived in Vegas growing up where we had Henderson Nevada nearby. Might be different from your location.
2 - Lower pH to about 7.2 (orange) in preparation for a SLAM (link below)
3 - Increase FC to 12 using regular bleach. Use the poolmath calculator to help you. Test that FC again in 15 minutes. If it's till close to 12, great. If it dropped horribly, also record your CC reading immediately after testing the FC and let us know what it turned-out to be. Either way, tell us what happened with the FC after 15 minutes.

We'll be glad to help you from there.

I'm in Henderson, NV.

I have the PH down to 7.2.

I did the test and the FC is 12. The CC was .5. After 15 minutes, the FC was at 11 and CC was still at .5.

The CYA is less than 20. Do I need to add Cyanuric acid before I start the SLAM? I'll report on the loss overnight (OCLT) tomorrow. I saw the bottom of the CYA chart said 20 and at that level I should be at 10 ppm during the shock/slam. I see you mentioned 12. So, I'll aim for 12.

My CC is still less than two though. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do about that. I'd appreciate any advice on that and whether or not I need to add some stabilizer (Cyanuric acid).

Thanks!
Cheri

I would add enough CYA to get it up to 30. Use pool math http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html to see how much you need. In the now I would put 10.

CC=used up FC so you WANT it to be low. Once you start the SLAM it might go up as the FC kills the algae.

Now is the time to get started on the SLAM Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain The most important part of the SLAM is M=maintain as in maintain the FC at SLAM level for your CYA.

As soon as you put the CYA in the sock and in the water use your target number of CYA to dose your FC to SLAM level. You can and should squeeze the sock to help the CYA dissolve faster.

Kim:cat:

Hi friendly audience,

I accidentally put muriatic in the pool during the slam when I meant to put in chlorine. Now, my ph is very low (below the orange - 6.8). Should I add some borax to raise the ph or should I just continue with the slam?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.