Fighting Algea and switching to the BBB method

May 30, 2016
Hazlet
Hey guys, first time posting here. I tried to get one extra year out of my winter cover, didn't go so well. I have a 13x21x41" oval. Roughly 6000 gallons. I've been shocking with bleach and making progress. I am going to be converting to the bbb method this year. Here are my numbers. I wanted some feedback to where I should go from here. The pool was solid green on sat and today I can see the bottom no green, just slight blue and a little cloudy. I ordered the tf100 yesterday with the speed stir. Recommended by the forums here. These numbers here are from the local pool store. I appreciate all the help you guys provide!

Fc- ovr 22.49
Tc- ovr 22.49
Cc-0ppm
Ph-7.8
Hardness-33pm
Alkalinity-54ppm
Cyanuric Acid-103ppm
Copper-0ppmm
Iron-0.2ppm
Phosphate-225ppb
Saturation Index- -1.03

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Until you get the TF-100, you're largely goign to have to guess. Shock level at your CYA level is around 40 (see this chart). I'm assuming that you are up close to that at least, since you have gone from green to blue and cloudy. The major thing you need to do next is to wait for the cloudiness to clear. This can usually be accomplished by your filter in around a week, but it might take longer if you have a sand filter. Once you get the test kit, make sure that your chlorine isn't dropping more than 1 ppm overnight to ensure that all of the algae is gone. Your CC being zero indicates that you've likely gotten it, but without being able to check for a change in your FC levels, it's hard to know for sure.

So, for right now, keep running your pump and filter, backwash/clean your filter periodically as it's removing a lot of dead algae, and wait for your test kit to arrive. Try to keep FC around 40, but you'r egoign to have to guess as it until the TF-100 arrives.

I forgot to mention I do have a sand filter. It has been running non stop since sat morning. I have been back washing twice a day since sat. This morning I took the filter apart and deep cleaned the zeolite sand I had put in last year. Lots of gunk came out. You think I should add more chlorine today to maintain shock levels. Or let the chlorine levels start to drop? Also what is a safe level to swim at as far chlorine goes? Thanks again brother.

If the algae in the pool isn't putting any demand on the chlorine, you'll likely be dropping 0.5 - 1.0 ppm/day, which I believe would be around 0.5 - 1.0 cup a day of 10% bleach in your pool. (You can check me by filling out PoolMath on this site.) I would at least add that to maintain your levels for now. If there is some algae left, you don't want to let you chlorine level drop. It might come back. You can generally swim in the pool as long as it is at or below shock level, though I would probably wait for it to come down a bit in your case considering just how high shock level is. Also, don't swim in it until you get your kit. Your chlorine level could be may higher than you think, and you should check it to know for sure before getting in.

Since you started on sat, plan on at least another 4-5 days for your filter to clear your water. If the cloudiness is persistent after that, you can consider using a floc product to clear it up for sure, but those are hard to use and have their own disadvantages.

So hopefully the cloudiness is just dead Algea at this point. Would it be worth it to use a clarifier to help the sand filter remove the Algea faster. Or is it is a waste of money and just wait for the filter to clear it out.

Ok so the tf-100 came and the speed stir same day. It's like Christmas. Lol. The speedstir makes testing a lot easier. Especially for a novice like myself. So here are the numbers. Cya might be off a hair towards the higher side. That test was kind of subjective with the black dot and all.

Pool numbers
Fc-18ppm
Cc-0ppm
Calcium hardness- 75ppm
Ta- 77ppm
Cya-90
PH-7.2
Borates- 0
6000 gallon above ground oval

Now I just need to test tonight and then again in the morning to see if there has been a significant drop in chlorine overnight. Which would indicate the presence of Algea?

Thanks again for your help treatmentnerd!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.