How much does flow rate affect SWG production?

pinguy

May 30, 2015
Pennsylvania
With temps finally getting warm, I was able to add salt and turn on the SWG this past week.

My current pump schedule:
1AM -3AM: 3450 RPM
9AM - 11AM: 1500 RPM
1PM - 5PM: 2350 RPM

I have the cell running at 100% but my FC has been in the 1.5-2.5 range when I've tested the past couple days. I've supplemented with liquid chlorine/and some older "pre-tfp" dichlor to bring my CYA up. CYA is about 50 right now.

Should I add time or speed? I feel like it should be producing more FC for 8 hours of run time. The cell looks fine, and it was new last year.

When in doubt if the SWG is producing like it should, you should run an OCLT to rule out organics consuming the chlorine.

If the water passes the OCLT, then you know that you need to increase the run time and/or % output.

The speed does not impact the SWG output. Either there is enough flow and the SWG works, or the SWG does not work.

Verify it is generating at the 1500rpm. If it is, then the only option is increased run time. If it is not, dial up that speed until it does generate.

Raising the CYA to the recommended level will also help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Running at 3400 is only advantageous to the stockholders in the power plant.

You will be surprised how much going from a CYA of 50 to around 70-80 will be. I was at 50 at the start of the year and at just over 70 now, and it made a big difference.

Something still isn't right here. I increased my pump time to 12 hours and everything seemed fine. My FC was around 10 at the end of last week, so I bumped down the percentage 10% or so.

Then I got back after being away this weekend, and FC is .5, CC was 3!

Sigh...bringing things up to SLAM level now with liquid. I'm not sure why I can't get this dialed in. It was super simple last year.

As water temps ramp up chlorine usage also ramps up. It is always tricky to gauge how much and how fast. I usually try to aim 1 or 2 above target for some extra cushion. SLAM is the right answer!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.