Roof mounted Solar Panel Need Help!!!

Jun 6, 2014
Lynbrook, NY
Hi all

Great Forum, alot of information.

I have a small pool Summer Escapes 14 feet by 4 feet deep. The pool filtration is a Intex 12" sand filter system with Intex SWCG.

I have added a separate feed and return in the pool for my solar heater

I have sungrabber/Fafco solar panels mounted on the roof. My height from floor to panel is 10 feet and additional 5 feet of pvc (this is from the pump to pool and pump to first side of panel all PVC) I just want to give as much information as possible.

Can someone please tell me what kind of pump i need. I hear so many different opinions.

One told me i need a 75GPM pump, others have told me i need at least 3/4 HP pump.

Can someone please help

Thank you
Eddie

Welcome to TFP Eddie :)

the reason there are so many different opinions is because there are many different ways to do solar :)

How many panels do you have
what size pipe are you using
what is the recommended flow for the panels

you want good flow through the panels but you also don't want a pump that has too many GPM for your panels...

here is a great post on exactly what your looking for, I hope this helps :)
Sweet Spot for Solar GPM

Hi Cowboy

Thank you for your response

Here the answer to your questions

I have two panels 2' x 12' each
The recommended flow rate is 4-8 GPM per panel
These are plumbed 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe

Thank you for the post I will read it in bit

Please let me know if you have any recommendations

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention these panels are also connected to a GL-235 and a control vavle

Now all I need is a pump don't want to try out different pumps until I get the right one

I have an index 12 by 24 pool with five 4 by 12 solar panels on my roof about 10 foot rise plumbed with 2 inch pvc. My index 2600 sand filter pump combo run my setup just fine. I even have to divert some water away because it flows too much if I open the 3 way vavle all the way for the solar.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Yes I have a checkvavle then a threeway vavle and to start it up I set it full open for the solar panels once I get a flow I lessen the flow to the solar panels. On my index I have the regular intake and I added a skimer all plumbed with 2 in pvc.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

yep, that 2600 GPH pump will do 43 gallons per minute and you need about 8 to 10 GPM with 2 of those solar panels :)

I have a intex 2500 GPH pump, I will try that.

Now i have another question Here is my setup which was recommended by Sungrabber/Fafco.
I like to install a Gauge to read my pressure, where would you recommend to install one, also where should i install the sensors for the GL-235.

Sungrabber.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am looking at your drawing, and I don't understand why you mention 8 lbs of pressure, I am not saying that is wrong, in fact it may be right if the highest point of your install is at about 16 - 17 feet above the plumbing height, but there is just not enough information here. As far as setup goes, the best thing to do to limit excess pressure at the panels is to install a temporary low pressure gauge (0-5 psi or so) where the VRV will be installed, tune the system using that to keep minimal pressure seen at this point when you have a dirty filter (lower flow), replace it with the VRV and don't touch the bypass valve. Alternatively if you want to install an optional ground level pressure gauge you can do it between the check valve and the solar panels, note the height above ground and do the math for the weight of the water column to calculate pressure at the panels.

I have one of these near ground level meters installed with my flow meter / check valve

Here is a photo

attachment.php

As you can see I used a gauge with a much larger scale than needed (60 psi?), but it was what I had on hand, I really should replace it with something in the 10 psi range, but since my current pump is not capable of enough flow to reach optimal flow for my panels is it not a big issue (I get around 42 gpm going to 11 4x12 panels with a clean filter, so just under the optimal 4.5 gpm per panel) rough math tells me this is about a 5% performance hit.

Issac

The manufacture recommended to set the flow of water via PSI according to the pump gauge to 8 PSI heading to the solar panels. Sorry for not clarifying.\

I just received confirmation again from Sungrabber

Maximum recommended flow = 4 gpm per panel Minimum recommended flow = 1 gpm per panel Recommended flow = 3 gpm per panel

Issac
That is some sophicated setup very impressive.
I have to find one of those flow meters.

I was looking into the flow meter,
http://tftestkits.net/FloVis-Flow-Meter-Complete-p74.html
I want to see if I can find one that is a check valve also.

The flow meter was an ebay deal that worked out cheaper than the Flo-Vis (I also bought it before the Flo-Vis was available at TF Test kits), the plumbing in my install does some wrap around due to working with existing equipment / pipe / hole positions. I suspect that 8 psi number is an over simplification that is commonly found in these DIY install manuals, it is amazing the difference in information given in the professional install products manuals vs the DIY kits. It seems all the DIY marketers feel they must simplify the instructions to the point a 3rd grade drop out could understand them regardless if they result in a less than ideal installation. Having said that 8 psi at ground level is likely enough that it will work on nearly all (even very steep) roofs on 1 story houses, yet not so high as to do immediate damage to the panels.

Is that 8 PSI over normal filter pressure without solar or an absolute pressure of 8 PSI?

And where is the 8 PSI measured?

Issac

That is well put in regards to DIY and Professional

I will buy the Flow Meter/Check Valve seems like a no brainier being it can accommodate both features in one valve. I will also install a pressure gauge just before the supply to the panel, and the pump also has a pressure gauge. I rather be safe then sorry.

These Panels were not cheap, and don't want them blowing off the roof.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.