SWG and VS Pump

jbesaltwaterpool

May 26, 2015
Jonesboro, AR
I'm thinking about replacing my 1.5 hp Pentair Superflo single speed with a VS Pump. Either the Intelliflo or Superflow VS. My question is, what's the best way to do this so the SWG only comes on when the pump does? I've researched this but not sure what the best, easiest way would be. I have attached a pic of my setup. Its pretty straight forward. Thanks
17b8bd5b7a6718e52392376791608ab2.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Variable speed is great. I really like it. It's so efficient and super quiet. Can barely tell when it's on. It also can provide as much or as little power as you are going to need. For the cost difference I would say it's definitely a better value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Variable speed is great. I really like it. It's so efficient and super quiet. Can barely tell when it's on. It also can provide as much or as little power as you are going to need. For the cost difference I would say it's definitely a better value

Thanks for the reply. I understand how the flow switch works, I just wasn't sure if there would be any damage to the unit if it's got power 24/7 but only getting flow for a set period of time each day. Thanks again.

Depends on the cost of electricity. Here in Texas you'll never recoup the price difference.

To answer your original question, you should NOT depend on the flow switch as a primary control of the SWG. It was designed as a secondary safety switch. If you currently have a timer controlling your pump, you simply move the new pump to the unswithched (hot) side of the timer, and leave the SWG feed on the switched side. Then the pump has power 24/7 and you use the pump's onboard timer to program timing and speed of the pump. Set the timer to turn the SWG on during a time that you know the pump will be running. Should the two ever get out of sync, that's what the flow switch is there for, secondary safety. That's how mine has been working for years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To answer your original question, you should NOT depend on the flow switch as a primary control of the SWG. It was designed as a secondary safety switch. If you currently have a timer controlling your pump, you simply move the new pump to the unswithched (hot) side of the timer, and leave the SWG feed on the switched side. Then the pump has power 24/7 and you use the pump's onboard timer to program timing and speed of the pump. Set the timer to turn the SWG on during a time that you know the pump will be running. Should the two ever get out of sync, that's what the flow switch is there for, secondary safety. That's how mine has been working for years.

Or if you don't have the ability to have the pump turn on the SWG, wire them both to the same timed output on the timer. That's how mine is.

I just switched out my old 1hp pump to the new Pentair VS2 pump and love it. I bought it with the installation of Heliocol pool solar panels. I live in northern CA and have already noticed a savings in my energy bill. I am running my pump longer at a significant lower wattage compared to the old pump. I like that it is easily programmable for your pool needs and is super quiet. You are not stuck with 1 or 2 speeds.

I never read or heard that the flow switch is a secondary safety. Pentair vs has a built in timer. Wouldn't make sense to set the pump and swg to be on another timer. It is designed to operate with the pentair intelliflow and use the flow switch by itself or at least that's what pentair has told me and the directions also read that way. Other systems may operate differently but the intellichlor and intelliflow are designed to work In sync with the built in timer.

If the pump can control power to the SWG, fine. But I didn't think it did that. If a SWG remains powered without any flow, it can explode. There are poeple here that have seen examples of that happening. If the flow switch is used as the only control vs as secondary safety, a flow switch failure can lead to an explosive event. It can and does happen, but it's your pool and your choice. I find it hard to believe that Pentair advises you to wire it with the SWG powered at all times.

Did some looking and this is what the Intellichlor installation and user guide says on page iii....Warning: CHLORINE GAS BUILD UP CAN OCCUR WITH IMPROPER WIRING: to reduce the risk of personal injury the iecg power center must be installed on and wired to the load side of the time clock, electronically control switch, or relay load side, so that it will receive power only when the pool pump is on. Otherwise, dangerous chlorine gas build up can occur. The IECG should never be energized when the pool pump is off and water is not flowing through the unit.

I also googled intellichlor swg explosions. Think I'll go the timer route.

When it comes time to pull the trigger, vs pump and put the SWG on seperate timer to run when pump is on only. It cost me about 2.20-2.43 a day depending on how long I run the single speed. From what I understand, it will cost me about .23-.25 a day for the vs pump. I figure it will be well worth it especially buying off the internet and doing myself....thanks for all the help guys.

There have been quite a few exploding SWG posts over the years. Here is the most recent one, New Member Swade

My VS pump is wired directly to the breaker and my SWG is wired to its own timer. I run my SWG inside the run time window of my pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.