Recommended levels

sxch12

May 5, 2015
Novi MI
When I look at the recommended levels for Vinyl pool (Pool School - Recommended Levels). Below is what I get but when I go to the poolmath calculator it's slightly different. So Can someone tell me the ideal numbers?

For FC it seems straight forward. If CYA is 30 ideal is 4ppm (Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart). But for the others there doesn't seem to be an ideal? In other words should ph be 7.2 ideally or 7.5, etc. Thank you!

Vinyl with Bleach
FC 3-7 (See chart)
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 50-90+
CH 0-350 (Don't add)
CYA 30-50

They should match, but one thing you have to make sure you do is at the bottom of the calculator, make sure to update the 3 items in the "Suggested Goals Levels" row. That changes those recommended numbers on the calculator. Maybe that's why you are seeing a disparity.

There is not really an ideal. Any of those are fine and will work fine. As you manage your pool you will notice trends like you spend a lot of time trying to keep PH at 7.8 but it is always 7.5 every time you test it. Leave it at 7.5. Or it is always 7.8 and you keep lowering it to 7.6. Leave it at 7.8. Or your TA keeps creeping down to 60 and you keep raising it to 80. Leave it at 60. There is no reason to spend time and money chasing a number. Except for never letting your FC drop below minimum for your CYA. Everything else just needs to be in range.

CYA is more dependent on sun exposure and climate. You are probably fine with 30. If you would like to use a little less chlorine per day then maybe 40.

pH does not affect algae growth. Anywhere within 7.0-8.0 is fine to swim in, although I prefer around 7.6. But don't use 7.6 as your target, anywhere from 7.2 to 7.8 is fine for your pool and kids.

No worries, we ALL get OCD about our pools. :) It all comes down to your pool and works best. For example, some pools may have a low CH because of very soft water, so to compensate the owner needs to elevate TA and pH to maintain a healthy CSI for plaster. Or in places like AZ it could be the other ay around with extremely hard water. TFP recommends CYA of 30-50 for non-SWG pools, but I keep mine at 60, sometimes 70 in the peak summer months because the sun's UV is brutal where I live. So there is a bit of variance on some things based on what your pool needs. A lot of time was invested by our predecessors who developed those numbers based on the various types of pools and most common conditions in the country. In the end, if you ever get stuck on one item, just let us know. We'll be happy to confuse you even more. :p

We never get tired of talking about PH, TA and CSI.

It is 100% safe to swim when
Your chlorine level is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart
PH is 7.2 to 7.8
Water is clear

If you want to obsess about your kids being safe then you can obsess about making absolutely sure that your chlorine level never drops below minimum level for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart. If it does drop below minimum then the pool becomes unsanitary with increased risk of person to person disease transmission and ineffective killing of bacteria, viruses and other pathogens. :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.