Noob pool owner (soon to be, July '16 ETA)

robtx

Bronze Supporter
May 30, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
Hello,

Rob from TX. We're installing a pool now, with photos in this thread:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/117260-I-have-a-hole-in-the-ground-destined-to-be-a-pool

This is our first pool and we, mostly, like simple. Well, when I say simple, we like clean design and sometimes that isn't simple. We did a ton of research, bid with different builders and even considered trying our hand at doing it ourselves. We decided to use a very reputable pool builder (Keith Zars Pools) and are now just in the madness of waiting for it to be finished...it's like watching a pot trying to boil water.

I think to our advantage, I always want to understand how things work, not just buy stuff that some "expert" tells me to. I'm also very leary of most things retail. Both of those things led me here. It's almost like searching through the jungle searching for something until you come around a corner and there are all the people who went on the same quest waiting to greet you with open arms and beer...there has to be beer.

We're building the pool because, well, we have never had one. We also have 3 younger kids and they are all fish, even the one who just started swimming. We do live about 3 blocks from Schlitterbahn, but we avoid it like the plague during the peak times.

Hi Rob. Our skies look just a little bit ominous right now don't they? I think the "zipper" is about to open. Keith Zars has been around SA for a while now, so I'm sure you're in good hands. Once they complete the build, do their initial start-up and leave, you'll want to stay close to TFP. Keep the Pool School - Start-up New Plaster page handy and make sure to have your TF-100 test kit available and ready as soon as they fill it up. As for this week ... stay dry! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I always tell new pool owners this .... make sure to ask and/or write down what chemicals they put in your water on day 1. That could be important later when you're on your own.

Thanks Texas, yes...it just hit us. We actually had the hole in the ground fill-up with water 2-3 weeks ago during that heavy rain. Two sections of the pool collapsed (downtown New Braunfels, so it's silt all the way down), but they pumped and fixed it.

I'll be sure to get a list and amounts of all the startup chemicals. I was considering doing a SWG, but Zars specifically voids the warranty on that.

My TF-100 and stirrer have shipped, so I should have some info on the tap water this week.

I'll be sure to get a list and amounts of all the startup chemicals. I was considering doing a SWG, but Zars specifically voids the warranty on that.

And see, just as I was about to say I've never seen a reputable pool builder, you post this and continue to confirm it. It sounds like to me they want to sell you services or a bunch of stuff you don't want or need. Pool stores and some PB's who also sell services hate SWGs because they make things so "Trouble Free".

Interesting thing on the SWG, I queried our super about it; who's been with Zars for 15 years. He responded that they used to do a TON of SWG pools and just stopped a couple of years ago. They paid out of their own pocket to go back and convert all their SWG pools to chlorine (they said millions of $; they build 400 a year) and don't do them anymore. The reason they gave was issues with gear and coping/decking (leading to warranty work) and service companies screwing them up causing even more warranty work.

I'm not suggesting they are right, but I thought I'd pass along what they are saying.