Changing sand in filter

May 31, 2016
Oakville
I'm wondering if I messed up here and need to start over. I'm at the stage where I'm filling it back up with the new sand. So I put the lateral assembly in the tank but it wouldn't really balance so I figured when I started putting sand in that would prop it up. Now it's full with 200lbs of sand, and the assembly is centered, but I think it isn't totally resting on the bottom. There might be a inch or so of sand under there. It was tough balancing it and getting the sand in there. Does that matter? Does the assembly have to rest on the bottom of the tank?

It depends on the filter brand and model but most sand filters have a base that the lateral assembly rests on or the lateral assembly is designed to rest on the base. To make adding sand easier, it's recommending having the filter body about 1/3 to 1/2 full of water when you start adding sand. This cushions the weight of the falling sand, making it easier to keep the lateral assy in place properly. If you have a shop vac, I'd suck the sand out before filling with water and start again with water in the filter first. Be sure to also cover the standpipe with a plastic bag and rubber band to prevent sand from going in the stand pipe when filling.

If you could update your signature with details about your pool, including your type of filter, that would help.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

It depends on the filter brand and model but most sand filters have a base that the lateral assembly rests on or the lateral assembly is designed to rest on the base. To make adding sand easier, it's recommending having the filter body about 1/3 to 1/2 full of water when you start adding sand. This cushions the weight of the falling sand, making it easier to keep the lateral assy in place properly. If you have a shop vac, I'd suck the sand out before filling with water and start again with water in the filter first. Be sure to also cover the standpipe with a plastic bag and rubber band to prevent sand from going in the stand pipe when filling.

If you could update your signature with details about your pool, including your type of filter, that would help.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Here's my filter: http://i.imgur.com/MB0iA4T.jpg

I filled it half way first. I followed this guide: How To Change Sand In a Sand Filter - INYOPools.com

Good idea. I'll update my signature tomorrow.

Welcome to TFP!

More here on adding a signature and a state to your location, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Thanks

Welcome, but let me ask, why were you changing the sand?

I read several places I should do it every 4-6 years and have no idea when the previous owner did it last. Only $40 worth of sand so I figured I'd do it.

AH, that is all marketing by people that make money off of selling you sand. In general unless you have managed to turn your sand into a goopy mess with a Baqua conversion, or concrete by adding various pool store magic potions then you should never need to change your sand. You may however need to deep clean it from time to time. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.