Black algae? and other tiles problems

mikethaisun

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 24, 2009
North East Thailand
Hello
I have a tiled pool. The grout in the joints between the tiles has started to turn black in places, I am assuming this is some kind of Algae. If this assumption is correct what can I treat with. I have been advised by a pool store that they can sell me a solution that will clear this problem over a period of a few months, the product costs approximately $64 a litre and would need to be applied every 7 days. Do you know of anything that would be better?

On other problem I have with the tiles is that some have cracked and need replacing. Please do not fall over laughing when I ask, is there any sort of compound, glue,cement etc., that can be used to fix the tiles without having to drain the pool.

Sorry I have to ask that but draining and re-filling my pool would be a very expensive operation.
Regards to all
Mike

Hi,

If it's algae, Chlorine will kill it. It could be Black Algae, from the description. Just shocking is not enough to kill black algae. It is very resistant to chlorine, it's got a tough outer shell that protects the inside from the chlorine. You have to brush with a SS brush for plaster pools to knock the "heads" off the algae, to allow the inside to be exposed to the shock level of chlorine. So shock the pool, and brush frequently. Maintain higher levels of FC for a while, brushing daily. This should rid them, you may experience residual staining if the spots are older.

As for the tile, I can't help you there. Hopefully someone else can advise you.

You don't need any special or expensive chems to treat the algae. Chlorine is all you need.

Can you tell me your CYA/stabilizer level? How about posting a full set of results....

To determine if it is algae, rub a trichlor puck on the stains to see if they fade. IF they do, it's probably the dreaded BA Beast. :grrrr:

Is your pool plumbed with any copper pipe? Do you have a heater with a copper heat exchanger? Like FPM said, a full set of test results can tell us a lot, as can knowing about your equpment and how you normally chlorinate.

Thanks for the information. I have tried scrubbing the grout between the tiles and some black stuff is dislodged however the black stain is still there. As this staining is all under water, scrubbing it all without a scuba kit or divers boots will be a problem.
I have tested today and the results are as follows: -
FC - 18
CC - 0
TC - 18
pH - 7.2
T/A - 170
CH - 360
CYA - 88

The pool is kidney shaped 12 meters by approximately 5 meters. It is fully tiled sides and bottom.
I have a sand filter.
There are no copper pipes or fittings and the heat is supplied by the sun, the water does get warm by the end of the day, too warm to enjoy so early morning swimming is best.
I chlorinate with trichlor powder diluted with pool water and fed into the pool by walking round the outside with a bucket of the mix just below the water level.
After use the pool is covered to stop the chlorine being driven off by the sun.

I hope this is of value to you when offering any further advice.
Thanks again

You probably have Black Algae then - keep scrubbing at the stains with the chlorine elevated and they should fade overtime, don't let your chlorine drop below 12 for now, and brush daily with the SS brush.

Do you not have access to liquid chlorine for daily chlorination? Using the trichlor will continue to raise your CYA which is already too high. You must keep the minimum FC according to your CYA level in your pool at all times or algae will take hold. As your CYA gets too high, you will find this is almost impossible to do, and shocking your pool will virtually be a lost cause, as the amount of liquid chlorine you would need is off the chart.

Consider replacing some of the water, you really should get that CYA level down. Hope this helps. :wink:

Yes, Liquid Chlorine is Sodium Hypochlorite. You want 6%, 10 or 12.5%...

To attach a photo, you would open a free Photobucket.com account, and upload your photos to their site, using their instructions. Once there, you copy the "IMG code" they give each pic, and paste that code into your message here, and the pic will appear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.