Glendale , Az.
FC 5
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 90
CYA 60
CH 350
Water Temp 78
Finally got my CYA down to 60..( I think after numerous tests in every position and light condition:confused:) But anyway the pool is crystal clear and 0 CC..But i'm losing 3.5-4 PPM FC daily...I've been reading old posts about the AZ sun..Pool gets 10 hrs. direct sun daily...Kinda Leery about going higher on the CYA..Don't want to end up in the same boat as last year...Was swimming yesterday and noticed slick spots on the wall that gets the most shade..iIf i add more CL than my 60 CYA calls for it will just burn off..Correct? Any suggestions???? ARIZONA people what do you keep your CYA at??? :brickwall: As long as my CC is zero nothing growing correct?? Also have done numerous OCLT tests since march...nothing lost overnight!!

I grew-up in Vegas and lived in Glendale from '86-'92 while at Luke. I understand totally. Your numbers look fantastic, and I'm actually impressed you have such a low CH. Some areas across the country will indeed go slightly above the recommended TFP level for CYA because the intensity of the UV requires it. I'm at 60 now and sometimes go to 70 in Jul - Aug. At the same time I know the risk (bleach if I need to SLAM). What concerns me at the moment is your slick walls. Not sure if that's the calm before the storm. Definitely give it a good scrub and perhaps consider an overnight (OCLT) before increasing the CYA (if you decide to do so). You are correct ... extra FC over/above the correlating CYA level is more susceptible to burn-off from the sun.

I grew-up in Vegas and lived in Glendale from '86-'92 while at Luke. I understand totally. Your numbers look fantastic, and I'm actually impressed you have such a low CH. Some areas across the country will indeed go slightly above the recommended TFP level for CYA because the intensity of the UV requires it. I'm at 60 now and sometimes go to 70 in Jul - Aug. At the same time I know the risk (bleach if I need to SLAM). What concerns me at the moment is your slick walls. Not sure if that's the calm before the storm. Definitely give it a good scrub and perhaps consider an overnight (OCLT) before increasing the CYA (if you decide to do so). You are correct ... extra FC over/above the correlating CYA level is more susceptible to burn-off from the sun.
So you think i should bump the CYA up to 70? I know last season at 80 CYA the FC held much better..But dont wanna do the bleach truck routine again..Can something be growing with 0 CC?? Plus i'm a little unsure of the CYA test even after doing it numerous times..but got an average of 60 PPM...??????

You might end-up increasing CYA slightly at the peak of summer. But before you do, I would first address the sliminess you discovered on the walls. Your current FC target is 7, so I would try to maintain about 10-12 for a day or two with a good amount of consistent scrubbing on those effected walls. Then I would perform an overnight (OCLT) to confirm no more than 1 ppm of FC is lost overnight. Once all of that is good, only then would I consider increasing CYA. Being algae-free is key though, so I'd do that first.

- - - Updated - - -

Once you know for sure your pool is algae-free, if you continue to lose more than 4 ppm of FC each day, then you know it's time to consider bumping-up the CYA slightly.

You might end-up increasing CYA slightly at the peak of summer. But before you do, I would first address the sliminess you discovered on the walls. Your current FC target is 7, so I would try to maintain about 10-12 for a day or two with a good amount of consistent scrubbing on those effected walls. Then I would perform an overnight (OCLT) to confirm no more than 1 ppm of FC is lost overnight. Once all of that is good, only then would I consider increasing CYA. Being algae-free is key though, so I'd do that first.

- - - Updated - - -

Once you know for sure your pool is algae-free, if you continue to lose more than 4 ppm of FC each day, then you know it's time to consider bumping-up the CYA slightly.
Thx Pat..I'll try that.......

FC of 5 would only be acceptable if that is the level at night, and only if you are adding bleach in the morning. That's the bottom of the scale for your pool, and if you measure FC of 5 in the morning after your dose, it is most certainly going below the acceptable level during the day. I'd be shooting for an FC of 7 with your CYA, if not slightly higher (8-9).

But if you believe you are using excessive FC, you should probably perform the OCLT to determine if you "caught the bug" during a low FC spell.

FC of 5 would only be acceptable if that is the level at night, and only if you are adding bleach in the morning. That's the bottom of the scale for your pool, and if you measure FC of 5 in the morning after your dose, it is most certainly going below the acceptable level during the day. I'd be shooting for an FC of 7 with your CYA, if not slightly higher (8-9).

But if you believe you are using excessive FC, you should probably perform the OCLT to determine if you "caught the bug" during a low FC spell.
With a min of 5ppmFC..which i measure at night..I'll add 4ppm/68 ozs. at night bringing it up to 9...usually falling down to 5.5 or 6 ppm the next night...so i think i'm doing this correctly...but i find my wall that gets the most shade a little slimy???? Done numerous OCLT tests the past 2 months...nothing lost overnight??

Still have a problem losing to much fc during the day.....
FC 5
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 80
CYA 70
CH 550
Water Temp 86
Brought my CYA up to 70 thinking it was to low tested 50-60 month or two ago..losing 3-5 ppm FC daily..very erratic and driving me crazy..One day i lose 3 one day i lose 5?????? I've done many OCLT and passed..Is this normal......????????????? :brickwall:

No CCs and good OCLT would appear to be perfect. But you did mention above however some possible slimy walls huh? Perhaps you have a slight organic build-up of some type but it's not enough to show-up on testing yet. Just a thought? Even though you have taken it up at night, your last FC test was on the low end for your CYA today, so perhaps you should take the FC up to about 15 or so for a day or two. See if that, along with good circulation and brushing helps to change the appearance of that one wall and help your overall FC loss.

Side note - I'm surprised your water temp is so low with thos blistering days this week. My water in in the mid-90s. Time for me to aerate. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The slimy wall was eradicated Pat..I just seem to be in an endless cycle of bringing it up to shock level till i pass OCLT....Then let the FC float back down to my target level where it is good for a day or two....and as time goes on keeps losing more and more...VERY Frustrating...At first i thought my CYA was too low so i brought it up to what i think is 70...Numerous times pouring it back and forth from the squeeze bottle to the cylinder...But dont want to go any higher with it...and it still loses 3-4-to 5 ppm a day....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAgggHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhh!!!!!!!

Well Pat brought it up to 15 last night this morning it was 14.5.. 0cc.. This evening back down to 8..??? Brought it back up to 15 tonight... See what happens tomorrow.. Tested CYA today seems to be between 80-90... What am i doing wrong???????

So a couple nights ago you only lost .5 ppm, but during the day lost about 6? That's a big loss for just sun at such a high CYA. :confused: I was going to ask you about a pool light, and if you ever removed it and inspected behind in the niche. Even steps or ladders that could hold stagnant water which would be a home for algae. But if there was algae in any of those places, you should not have passed the OCLT. I'll be curious to see what you reply with today.

I think i added to much Cya.. Thinking it was too low... Have a prob getting accuracy with the test..Pool light is clean... But im unsure of my cya level.. Bring it up to shock level for 80- 90 cya...??? Dont know what else to do...

Do you have the 50 CYA standard to judge your CYA testing bias? Or have someone else do it and see what they get? Just to be sure, it's waist high, back to the sun, two fingers holding the top, squirt/glance/look away, squirt/glance/look away.

Do you have like 10 kids swim in your pool everyday?

Sorry to bring up obvious stuff, just throwing out ideas.

So a couple nights ago you only lost .5 ppm, but during the day lost about 6? That's a big loss for just sun at such a high CYA. :confused: I was going to ask you about a pool light, and if you ever removed it and inspected behind in the niche. Even steps or ladders that could hold stagnant water which would be a home for algae. But if there was algae in any of those places, you should not have passed the OCLT. I'll be curious to see what you reply with today.

Well Pat ... After bringing it up to 15 last night... Its 13 this morning with .5 cc...I think i added too much cya it was 40-50 which i thought was low...so the past 3 months ive added a pound at a time ... And it tested abiut 70... Waiting a week to test...Until yesterday where it seems to have shot up to 80-100...Really getting disgusted.!!

Ugh. :brickwall: That's a tough one as I'm sure you are aware. You will lose some CYA to backwashing and splashout, but it won't be as fast as a water exchange. You can do your best to maintain that high FC until the CYA drops as noted on the Chlorine/CYA Chart, but it will take some babysitting for a while. I suppose with that CYA so high that's why your water has been stressed.

Ok well... Pool losing FC... So i decide to SLAM.. As far as i know my CYA is 80..Since Fri. Night i've been bringing the FC up to the shock value of 80 which is 31... Sat morning 22 Sat. Noon 18 Sat evening 22 This morning Sun 18......I dont seem to be gaining ground??? BTW the pool started out crystal clear... Am i not being patient enough??? Also brush 3x a day...My bleach tanker truck is running dry!!!! Thoughts????

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.